fourteen

SOPHIE PAUSED AND looked around, her eyebrows wrinkled together with confusion

SOPHIE PAUSED AND looked around, her eyebrows wrinkled together with confusion. There were a few other people in the hallway around her. Several students roamed around in search of their classes and chatting with friends. A few teachers stalked the edges of the hall, stacks of paper in their arms to conceal their weapons. Nobody that she recognized immediately. Nor did she see anybody staring at her awkwardly or expecting her response.

She pursed her lips as her confusion grew.

There was a sudden movement to her right. She turned toward it. A stranger moved at the other end of the hallway, walking toward her, his lips stretched back in a friendly grin. Her eyes widened a bit. The man looked young enough to be a student --younger than her, at least. His hair was thin and straight, framing his face with wispy strands of chocolate.

Sophie forced a pleasant expression on her face. It was obvious that this student had mistaken her for one of his friends or something. It wasn't a big deal, nor did she mind, but she had things to do.

Confusion flickered across his emerald eyes as he drew closer. His smile faltered. "Oh," he said. He stopped in front of her, towering over her. "I apologize. I completely mistook you for an old friend of mine."

"It's alright," she told him. "No harm, no foul."

The man laughed a bit. He lifted a hand and scratched at his head. "I'm sorry to bother you. Before I let you go, though, I have to ask. You wouldn't happen to know where I can find someone named Aelia would you? I've been all over the castle and haven't been able to find her."

Sophie blinked. Students usually referred to her mother as the headmaster. Not her first name. "My mother?" she asked. She gestured behind her, toward the office door, with a small laugh. "Her office is right over there. I'm honestly surprised it took you all day to find her office. There should be maps all over the place to make it easier to find."

The man stared at her. "You're Aelia's daughter?"

Sophie nodded.

His smile reappeared. "No wonder. Now I don't feel as bad about stopping you," he chuckled. "You look so much like your mother. Well, from afar anyways. It's so nice to meet you, Sophie."

He held out a hand and Sophie took it.

"I'm Finn. Finn Frey," he said. "I'm an old friend of your mother's. And your late uncle's. Sorry about what happened with him, by the way. I heard all the juicy details earlier and rushed to get here as soon as I could."

Sophie quirked an eyebrow. "It's been a bit since he passed away," she said.

"I'm well aware," Finn answered. His smile didn't falter. "I would have been here sooner but it was harder to get back into America. I was in Cairo, working deep in a pyramid with several archeologists. Customs didn't exactly like the artifacts that I brought back."