twenty three

SOPHIE WALKED QUICKLY down the stairs, her gaze scanning over the assortment of tables that were spread out throughout the first level

SOPHIE WALKED QUICKLY down the stairs, her gaze scanning over the assortment of tables that were spread out throughout the first level. Tabatha was tucked away into the corner, at one of the tables that pressed up against one of the walls. She was twisted in her seat, her back against the wall, and her legs were stretched out atop the chair that sat beside her. A small pile of books and printed packets littered the table in front of her.

"Hey," Sophie chirped as she approached the table. She eyed a particularly thick looking packet. "It looks like you found some good stuff."

Tabatha sighed. "Kind of," she said. She gestured toward the open book in front of her. "I asked the librarian if she had anything on strange, unknown creatures. I didn't specify that we were looking for anything on the Revenants. So she literally gave me everything."

Sophie arched an eyebrow. "Everything?"

"Everything. Including books and packets on creatures that have nothing to do with the Revenants," Tabatha said. She scoffed and gestured to a large book that she'd already pushed aside. "This one right here is nothing but snippets of stories and legends about undiscovered creatures from the ocean. Like we need that."

"I mean, what if they swim though?" Sophie suggested. "Who knows? We surely don't."

Tabatha stared at her for a long time, entirely unimpressed.

Sophie chuckled and revealed her own pile of books. "I'm not sure how helpful these will be, but at least it's a start. Thank you for talking to the librarian!"

"Of course," Tabatha chirped.

Together, Tabatha and Sophie tore through the books and packets spread out around them. The books that had potential were set aside in a nice, organized pile. The books that seemed useless were discarded onto a nearby chair. Once they had narrowed the information down, they split the books and packets between themselves to read.

In the end, they didn't find much.

Sophie heaved a sigh and rubbed at her eyes. "I haven't had any luck," she told Tabatha. "Have you?"

Tabatha scowled. "No, I haven't. This stinks."

"Seriously," Sophie agreed. "I think I'm going to take a break and go find Eli. I'm sure that he's talked to his sister by now. She may have found something else."

"Have fun," Tabatha said. She pulled out another book and started to flip through it.

As she walked toward the door, Sophie glanced back over her shoulder, her gaze scanning over the upper floor. She half expected Finn to be standing there, either hidden within the shelves or leaning against the railing, watching her. She didn't see anything though.

Sophie managed to track Eli down to the hospital wing, more specifically in Wolfe's room. As she entered the room, she smiled hopefully at Eli and Aubrey. "Did you find anything new?"