twenty four

SOPHIE STARTED TO meet with Finn every afternoon

The first meeting was a bit awkward. Finn spent about an hour staring intently at her throat and loosely sketching copies of it into a small sketchbook. After a few days, however, she got used to the attention and actually started to enjoy her time in the library. She found that, so long as she stayed as still as possible, she could read through various books and search for more information on the Revenants.

As she entered the library, about a week after their initial meeting, she noticed that Finn had gathered a collection of scrolls. Said scrolls were strewn out all across the table that they normally sat at, some unrolled and some pushed into a giant mountain.

He smiled cheerfully at her as she approached the table.

"What's all this?" she asked, taking her usual seat across from him. She lowered her own book —an interesting take on mythical creatures from the Middle Ages— and stared intently at the scrolls.

Finn's smile widened. "Progress! I haven't found an exact match to your marking yet. But there are several scrolls that appear to have pieces of your marking illustrated within them," he explained.

Her eyes widened as he handed her one of the unrolled scrolls. Scribbled on the parchment was a slender pattern. It was beautifully depicted. Small snippets of the design appeared similar to her own. She lifted her fingers to her throat, touching the ragged skin. "This is very interesting," she said. "Have you found anything that explains what it could mean?"

That caused Finn to sigh. He leaned back in his seat and scratched the back of his head. "I haven't found anything on that yet," he admitted.

Sophie smiled. "Still," she said, gesturing toward the unrolled scrolls, "We've made some progress and that's exciting!"

Finn chuckled. "Very much so," he agreed.

She smiled and leaned back in her own seat, propping her feet up on the chair beside her. She picked up her book and flipped it open to the page she left off on.

As she read, she half-listened to Finn murmur under his breath. His gaze remained focused on the scrolls surrounding him. He rolled a few back up and added them to the mountain of rolled up scrolls that was growing beside him. Thirty minutes of this passed —Sophie just reading her book and Finn going through scroll after scroll. Then Finn sighed quietly and leaned back in his seat again. His gaze zeroed in on her face. "I apologize for interrupting you," he said quietly, as though he were afraid of startling her.

She glanced up at him, an eyebrow raised. "What is it?"

He leaned forward. His elbows rested atop the tabletop, his hands clasped together in front of his mouth. "It's quite fascinating," he said, his voice soft. "I've spent a week pouring through various scrolls and books. I haven't found a single sketch that is a carbon copy of your curse mark. I know I have asked you a little about it over the last week. But I don't believe that I've asked how you acquired it."