one

SOPHIE BROOKS HATED being a vampire-teacher

Her nose flared as she crouched down within the shadows of a movie theater. A large crowd waited in front of the drop-box for their tickets, their credit cards in hand. Several of them glanced toward the new superhero posted that adorned the side of the building, their expressions excited. Mindless chatter caressed her eardrums. "Do we really have to do this?" she whisper-hissed to her boyfriend.

Eli sported a patient expression. "They have to learn somehow," he whisper-hissed back, low enough that the fledglings behind them couldn't hear.

She sighed quietly as Eli turned to face their students. His hands moved as he spoke. "When most humans think of vampires, it's immediately assumed that vampires have to attack their prey. We have to kill in order to live. But that's not the case."

He glanced down at her, expectantly. Sophie stood and folded her arms across her chest. "The purpose of this exercise is to demonstrate the correct way to feed. We don't assault humans to get their blood. But keep in mind that this is only to be used in emergency circumstances, as we generally get our blood from blood-banks."

"Do we have to do this?" one of the fledglings asked. Her expression was tainted with a mixture of horror and concern.

"No," Eli assured her. "This is just a demonstration. You are just here to observe and take notes."

A wave of relief washed over the fledglings. Sophie almost laughed at them. Out of the corner of her eye, she caught Eli watching her with a warm, triumphant expression.

"I did it last time," he reminded her quietly.

Her expression immediately darkened. A silent war broke out between them, and lasted for a solid two seconds. His smile grew larger and larger until she finally harrumphed. "Fine," she grumbled under her breath.

Eli beamed and leaned forward, kissing her cheek. "Have fun."

Sophie grumbled incoherently under her breath and started toward the crowd. As she brushed her hair of her face, she hastily examined the cluster of humans. This was the part that she hated the most. It was like picking the least bruised apple from the bunch. Picking her victim always made her feel like she was a monster; a horrible person condemning this clueless creature and stealing its blood.

The crowd took notice as she approached. Eyes locked onto her form, watching intently as she wormed around the outskirts of the group. Sophie spied her victim –a teenage boy with olive toned skin and dark eyes. He was just attractive enough that he wouldn't be immediately missed.

"Hey, there," she purred as she approached.

The boy looked away from his friend and stared at her. A few seconds passed, and his eyes grew wider than a pair of paper plates. She felt his gaze travel down the length of her body, lingering in inappropriate places. Then his gaze returned to her face, spellbound. His Adam's apple bobbed up and down. "H-hello," he stuttered and then cleared his throat. "Hey."

Sophie did her best not to grimace. "I'm Claire," she stated, glancing at his friend briefly before returning her attention to her victim. A disarming smile graced her features. "Are you here to see Civil War?"

He grinned and ran a hand through his spiky brown hair. Small patches of dandruff speckled the base of his roots. "Claire is a very pretty name," he said. "Suiting for such a pretty girl. I'm Adam. It's nice to meet you. Yeah, is that what you're seeing?"

"I am now," she said with a wink.

Adam's grin grew even wider –if that was even possible. His friend muttered something about going to the bathroom. Adam nodded and Sophie watched him walk away. Instead of going to the bathroom inside, the friend joined another guy at the end of the line. The duo elbowed each other and shared devious looks.

Sophie returned her attention to Adam. She had to make this quick. Get him to the alley, feed briefly, and then break his heart. It need to be quick, like ripping off a Band-Aid. "Did you really have your heart set on waiting in line for this movie?"

Adam arched an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

Her gaze met his and she smiled a mischievously. "I can think of a few other fun things to do while we wait."

His cheeks turned a bright red color. Sophie's jaw clenched as she inhaled. To keep from feeding right then and there, she glanced toward the alley. Eli waited in the shadows, his arms folded over his chest. His smile had vanished. He nodded firmly when their eyes locked. She took a deep breath and looked back at Adam. He had turned his head toward the alley, following her gaze. It was obvious that he didn't see Eli.

"Let me tell my friend to get me a ticket," Adam said. His voice sounded different, somewhat winded and breathy. He gulped and looked around in search of his buddy. As said friend approached, Adam said, "Hey, man. Grab me a ticket, will you? I'll be back in a moment. Claire here wants to show me..."

"A favorite spot of mine. It will just take a moment."

The friend nodded. Adam reached out and placed a hand on the small of Sophie's back. Her skin prickled. It took all she had not to grab his hand and break it. She walked him toward the alley and, once the shadows engulfed them, pushed him against the wall.

Quick. Painless. Mindless.

Adam grunted as Sophie pressed against him. She didn't let him kiss her –the idea made her stomach churn with unease. Instead, she pressed her lips to his neck. He sighed and leaned his head back. As her fangs pierced his skin, a grimace plagued his features. It didn't hurt him. It never hurt the humans.

As Sophie drank, she listened to Eli teach. His voice was as soft encouragement.

"Our bite doesn't change a human into a vampire. Contrary to popular belief, vampirism can only be transferred through our blood –almost like a blood transfusion. But we have to make sure that we are careful when we feed. To humans, it feels quite pleasurable. Even though they have no clue what you are doing, they won't want you to stop. It's very easy to kill them."

Sophie retracted her fangs. She kissed the small wound and it healed immediately. As she stepped back, she cupped Adam's dazed face. "Go tell your friends about how you just got banged in an alley," she told him.

"Okay," he murmured happily.

As Adam wandered off, Sophie returned to Eli's side. Her hand grasped his tightly. "My advice would be to never feed on humans when you are desperately thirsty. Yes, this is to be used as a last resort. But try to drink some animal blood first. That way, you won't lose control and kill someone."

The fledglings nodded. Sophie and Eli shared a look, and then returned their attention to the class. "Are there any questions?"