one

not half as impossible as everyone assumes

confident. that was an understatement in the way she walked. pride practically radiated off of her as her worn out converse hit the concrete with each proud stride.

she looked powerful. in every possible way a person could be considered as such.

eyes were fixated on her, as though they were her pray; preparing themselves for the moment she would pounce. one sudden move and they would be food for worms, it had seemed. she spared them no looks, not feeling a need to. which inevitably set a feeling of sheer unease to those in her surroundings. she was aware of the many eyes on her. but she just couldn't seem to care to acknowledge them.

funnily enough, the girl wasn't considered popular, or arousing in any way. no, she was quite the opposite of what you may think. she was well known, but not well liked; there's a difference.

a ring of her pink lipgloss was imprinted at the end of her cigarette, as she released the smoke past her lips. the coloured ring clung on for dear life, until she swept her chipped black nail over it. the colour inevitably dissolving into the lines of her finger print.

head phones were buried in her ears, the tunes drowning the real world out. the smiths, queen, the strokes, and more, were enough to allow her to escape into her own fucked up mind. and it was enough to allow her to be completely oblivious to the comments made by a certain group of lads as she walked passed them.

"fuck me," jamie cook gawked, as his gaze followed the girl's back, which was only getting further and further away by the second. "is it just me, or has harlow grace gotten fitter over the summer?" jamie asked his friend, matt, his eyes not leaving the figure of the confident girl.

"you've got eyes mate, think they've already answered your question." the short haired lad replied, looking up from his phone, to inspect the new comer.

the car pulled up beside them, and out came a disheveled looking young lad. his long-ish messy dark hair, falling into his eyes as he approached the two.

"alright, lads?" the boy greeted, adjusting his hair, as he earned small nods from the other two. "fuckin' 'ell, what's up with you two?"

jamie scoffed, his arms crossed, as he gestures over to the source of their trance. "her."

alex furrowed his brows, following his line of sight, and with a shrug, he turns to his friend. "all i see is back, mate. that's some girl's behind."

jamie hit the boy on the shoulder, making alex rub the victimised place, "that..." he gestured his head towards the retreating girl. "is harlow grace, mate, you should've bloody seen her."

"does it matter? it's not like she's ever gonna notice any of us anyway," nick o'malley scoffs, just now approaching the trio.

"alright, mate," alex greeted, giving his friend a friendly slap on the back.

"al," nick acknowledged with a smile, and the others all greeted each other properly. they had all seen each other over summer, though, so there wasn't really need for greetings, or catch ups.

the bell rang to announce the beginning of form, and the four lads started their walk to their room that to be at right now, already dreading their first year at sixth form.

"so, who is this harlow grace, anyway?" matt asked, not knowing much about her other than the fact she was a distant person.

"someone that won't notice jamie, that's for sure," nick teased, causing the bloke in question to role his eyes.

"ah, don't be tight, nick," alex scolds teasingly, slapping the shorter boy on the shoulder, with a smug smirk. "he's finally found someone to gawk over."

jamie let out a grumbled laugh, "oh, yeah? you finally spoken to that johanna bennett?" he defended, and alex's face answered his question. feeling slightly bad, jamie added, "trust me, mate, i do not fancy, harlow grace."

the boys finally made their way to their form rooms, standing outside of the door as they continued talking; matt scoffed, "why 'cause y'know you two would never work out?"

"nah," jamie retorted, greeting a friend that walked past, before adding, "because she's fuckin' mental."

"yeah? how come?"

"no one knows what's going on in that 'ead of hers, man, she's...aloof?" it looked as though he questioned his own statement, not knowing if aloof was the right word to describe the girl. "hasn't got any mates from what i've seen."

"how'd you know she doesn't have friends outside of school?"

"everyone's got friends in school, al," matt informed his best mate. "she doesn't, what makes you think she's got any anywhere else?"

as he listened to his friends throwing rumours around about harlow grace, one boy in particular found himself growing more and more intrigued of the girl by the second. sure, he had seen her around before, considering she went to the same secondary school, and he did hear the odd comment made about her, but she never really made the topic of a conversation. alex never really found himself actually interested in the girl.

and he certainly never found himself wanting to know more about the unpredictable mystery she had seemed to be.

'no one knows what's going on in that 'ead of hers...'

if that wasn't a red flag, alex didn't know what was.

despite all this, however, what he didn't know, was that this girl was going to cause him and his heart more trouble in a year than someone could cause in a lifetime.