pref - modern 3 AMs | merlin

helloooooo here is something random I thought of while I was making mac and cheese at 4 am LMAO I just think being awake late with your partner and doing chaotic things sounds like so much fun!!

warnings: none

summary: 3 am shenanigans with the merlin boys, time travel au

I'm calling the "them accidentally ending up in the future" au the time travel au instead of kate and leopold bc I think it makes more sense <3

.*+.*.+*.

MERLIN

"What are you doing awake?" Merlin asked as he walked into the kitchen. His hair was messy, and he was squinting-- a clear sign that he had just woken up. "It's three in the morning."

 "Couldn't sleep, I got hungry so I'm making a bagel," you replied, impatiently watching the bagel as it toasted.

Merlin pulled up a stool and sat next to you. "I still don't understand how things like these work," he said, pointing to the toaster. "But I have to say, they're much safer than fire."

"Safer, maybe, but not always better. This toaster takes 600 years to toast things all the way through."

"I think waiting is part of the fun."

You hummed. "To each their own, but before I had you to wait it out with, it was pretty boring."

He smiled, leaning over to kiss you. "Right. What would you do without me?"

Your broken and worn toaster interrupted, popping the bagel out so forcefully it almost hit the ceiling. You caught one half in your hands while the other somehow landed perfectly on Merlin's head.

"Ah, a hat!" You giggled, removing the almost-burnt bagel from his head. "That one will be yours."

"You're sharing with me?"

"Of course, you did wait it out with me. Plus, I really don't want to eat a bagel that has your hair all over it," you said. Merlin laughed, and you began to assemble the halves as he watched, playing with the sleeves of his sweater.

"It's still so odd seeing you in modern clothes," you said as you handed him his half of the bagel. "I got so used to the scarf and tunic. Although, as much as I adored your jacket, I think you look absolutely adorable in a sweater."

"Y/n, do you have a crush on me?" He grinned.

You returned his expression, looking to the side as if you were deep in thought. "Hmm, no, you're not really my type."

While he was busy rolling his eyes, you left the room to get something to drink. As you popped open the can, Merlin's interest peaked.

"What's that?"