chapter 4

The rest of the day passed in a blur. That night Carmen gave me some clothes of her boyfriends to wear.

"Thanks." I said.

I was numb. I didn't know what to do. Let alone say. I sighed.

"Everything is going to be okay." Carmen said.

I closed my eyes and slowly opened them. "It's difficult. Yes I know I lied to her about me. But she was cheating on me and tried to pass the baby off as mine."

"Everything happens for a reason." Carmen said. "I'm gonna head to bed. Feel free to do whatever."

I nodded my head. I watched as she walked away. I changed and laid on the couch. I stared off just wanting to redo everything. I couldn't sleep. I got up and found a pen along with paper.

Carmen,
Thank you for everything. I just need to get away. I'm not for sure how long. I can't be here. I just can't. Everything has changed. I don't know where I'm going to go. I might be back I don't know yet. I need to clear my head. I wish not to be reached. So please give me that space. It's not your fault in anyway. If anything you have been amazing. I will tell Aiden too or you can. I mean I don't know. I don't want him to try and stop me either. I'm sorry for leaving like this. I know I won't have a job when I come back. I just hope you can forgive me for doing this.

Toby.

I placed the note on the fridge so she would see it when she walked into the kitchen first. I packed up my things I had into a plastic bag. I stood at the door for a minute and sighed. It wasn't good for me to be here.

I opened the door and quietly shut it. Getting on my motorcycle I just drove. I didn't want to stop. I continued to drive. The wind whipped around me and the moon was high in the sky. I stopped at a gas station on the edge of town and filled up my tank. I grabbed an energy drink and paid for my gas. I heard some guys come in behind me. They were whispering and acting strange.

The cashier was a young blonde woman who was smiling until she noticed them. Her smile disappeared.

"Is everything okay?" I asked with concern.

"They harass me every time they come in here." She said with a whisper.

"Do you have a bathroom?" I asked.

"Yes left hand corner." She said.

I will be right here I'm mouthed as I walked back towards the bathroom. I watched as they guys went up to the counter.

"Hey baby." The one said as he reached across the counter grabbing her hand.

My eyes narrowed and I watched.

"Looking good tonight. How about you join us in some fun?" The other guy said.

"No I told you I'm not interested." She pulled her hand away.

They went to go around the counter but I stepped out blocking them from getting to her.

"The lady said she wasn't interested." I said firmly.

"Who the fuck asked you?" The one stepped towards me.

"Nobody but the lady isn't interested so move on." I said standing my ground.

The guy went to swing at me but I ducked and came back catching him right on the chin. He stumbled back. Then tackled me to the ground before I could react. He landed blow after blow on my face. I felt as he was pulled off of me and I saw the cops handcuffing him. The female cop helped me up.

"Do you need medical attention?" She asked.

"No it's fine. I just need to go." I sighed.

She nodded her head.

"Thank you." The cashier said.

"You're welcome." I said and walked out.

I got back on my motorcycle and started off on a drive again. I figured I stop at my best friend Amber's house. She lived two hours away.

I continued to drive until I saw her house. It was dark. I got off and went up and knocked on her door. Soon the porch light flipped on and she stood there blinking.

"Do you have any idea what time it is?" She asked.

"Sorry. I just needed someone to talk to and Aiden is dealing with his baby." I said.

"Shut the fuck up and get in here." She laughed and stepped back.

I walked in. I went and sat on her couch. She flipped on the lights.

"Can I get you a drink?" She asked.

"No." I sighed.

She came and sat down next to me.

"So what the hell is going on?" Amber questioned.

I opened up to Amber about everything. What Jackie did and my feelings for Carmen which scared me. I don't know why but it just did.

"Wow. Jackie is a damn bitch for doing what she did. As for Carmen it's perfectly normal to have feelings for someone. There's nothing wrong with that. You don't have to date her now. Just get to know her and see where it goes." Amber said.

"I need to clear my head. " I sighed. "I don't want to go back because of Jackie. Then it's like I do want to go back because of Carmen. I don't know if she knows how I feel or not."

"You are never going to know unless you go back and assess the situation. Try to see what happens. Be friends with her then see where that goes." Amber suggested.

"What if she doesn't feel the same?" I asked.

"Then so be it. You move on. Go out with someone else. " Amber said.

"Your right. I deserve to be happy. I like how I am with Carmen. It's different with her." I said.

"Why don't go you back and talk to her? You don't have to tell her you have feelings for her or anything. Just see how it goes. If she likes you then so be it. Just don't rush into anything." Amber said.

"I don't plan on it." I laughed.

My phone rang and I looked to see it was Carmen.

"I'll leave you alone." Amber said and went upstairs. "I'm going to bed. If you leave lock my door." Amber laughed.

I picked up my phone and answered it. "Hey." I said softly.

"Hey. I saw your note. I know you told me not to reach out but I had too. I hope that's okay. I just wanted to make sure your alright." Carmen said.

"I'm fine. Can I be honest with you?" I asked.

"Anything babe." Carmen said.

I swallowed. Did she just call me babe? "The night of my birthday, I had a great time with you. You've helped me out quite a bit with the whole Jackie thing. It means a lot. I will be back in the morning and maybe you can help me find a place?"

"Or you could stay with me?" Carmen suggested.

I swallowed.

"I have a spare room you can stay in. You can come and go as you please. Have a girl over or whatever." Carmen said.

"I couldn't ask you to do that." I said.

"It's an offer. I been in your shoes after a break up." Carmen said.

"I'll be back in the morning. Maybe we can talk more about this." I suggested.

"I'm fine with that. Good night. Dream of me." Carmen laughed.

"Good night." I laughed and hung up the phone.

Carmen wasn't at all the bitch that I thought she was. I guess only time will tell where the two of us will end up.