CHAPTER iii.

Are you listening?

"Y/N, Y/N. Y/N!" A shout flickered the girl back to the futile, cold office, accompanied by the principal, chief, and the officer, who seemed slightly worried about the girl who seemed to have dozed off into the abundance of memories and thoughts overflowing her own emotions, a sense of guilt welling up on her, "Are you listening?"

Her eyes blinked, watching the concerned adults, who were looking back at her. She shakes her head, her brittle hair moving from side to side, trying her best to hold back tears, not wanting to know of the possibilities of Will not being safe. Remembering a bit of the event that carried on last night, she spoke forward, "I-I only remember leaving early, since I had to be home by six. Will was with the party, so I don't know much from there."

Callahan cleared his throat, taking the seat next to her, "Do you know what street he usually takes to go home?"

"Mirkwood," Y/N fixes her jacket, watching her dad rolls his eyes, remembering the fuss the party made while they interrogated them about a few hours ago. She looks around, the diplomas displayed on the back, tears slightly welled up in her E/C eyes, feeling a pit in her stomach, "I-I'm sorry. Is there any way I could help?"

She snapped.

Heavy streams of tears dropped onto her pale cheeks, now one of her responsibilities of whom she had promised to take care of was gone. If she should've stayed a little longer, just an hour more, she could've prevented it. It's all her fault, all her fault. No wonder she was a failure, maybe those dorks from years ago were right. It was all her fault her mom ever divorced Hopper. It's everything, all her fault-

"Y/N," A large hand rubbed her back up and down, making her try to feel better, the girl that had her hands buried into her face, looked up to see her dad, sitting beside her, "You just have to keep a brave face, and no investigating okay?"

Her heavy eyes drift towards the bearded man, watching her sternly beside her, she frantically nods. Later then, she provided a bit more information about Will and his family, now that she's been with them for five years now. Ever since that broad decision was made, it would become one of the most treasured moments in her life, the strong bond brought them together.

Excused from the staff, she strolled back to the hallway, barging through her cluttered backpack to try to find a fresh pack of cigarettes, but none were to be found. She sighed loudly, to swing her backpack to its default position and pacing along the hallway. The realization kept hitting her, her eyes burned, while she quivered, biting her lip. That same feeling inside the principal's office, the guilt. What was there to be guilty about anyways?

"Oh, won't you look who it is!" A cocky tone appeared from afar, Y/N gave no shit to turn to the voice but instead continue watching the shiny floor, reflecting the lights above, "I guess Hopper is weeping for her mommy. Oh right, she doesn't have one."

Furious at the remark, her eyes darted across to find a brunette, with 'perfect' hair, leaning against the metal lockers. Steve fucking Harrington. This boy had it all against the girl, ever since those harsh words being repeated over and over, like a broken cassette, threw her into the lowest state. Y/N's expressions turned bitter, her nose wrinkled, and pursed her lips, "Stop acting like you're ten, Steve."

"I see you've been listening," He raises his eyebrows, snarlingly commenting, shifting his hands to his pockets in his khaki jeans.

"So?" Y/N spoke back, slowing her pace down to be able to talk to him although feeling like the need to ignore back again. Why was she going to bother her time with him?