CHAPTER iv.

One for us

WHO knew that the day had gone like a blur, drifting off to classes and sessions, now Y/N was outside in the busy Hawkins High parking lot. From people driving away to their destinations to the freshmen walking off into the distance. Everything had been subtly normal, except for Y/N who had been aware of the odd disappearance of Will Byers. As she stood beyond the perimeter of the entrance, a few farewells were exchanged from Nancy, walking back to the Wheeler's residence, three familiar boys biking nearby her. It had appeared that the specific, Mike Wheeler, Lucas Sinclair, and Dustin Henderson were approaching her in the buzzing lot. Quick waves and greetings, they all said hello along with the purpose of the trip.

"Little Hop!" The shouts from upfront were called for, the boys circling their way around her, Mike pushing the brakes next to the dumbfounded girl, standing awkwardly, "There's something that went on-"

"I know, Will's missing," Y/N lifted her arms from her side, sighing loudly, the boys still catching their breath from the troubling trip to the high school, "There's nothing we can do about it!"

Mike stood up abruptly, steadying his bike along with Lucas and Dustin, clearing his throat, "Yes we can! You're an intern at the police department."

The three middle schoolers stood quietly, in hopes of her agreeing with their statement of finding their lost friend. Y/N had always been on their side, ever since she met them, they were the troublemaking group of kids, buzzing around the town creating rumbles. Surprisingly, she frowned, looking off into the open, "Sorry, but from what my dad said, I'm afraid I can't help this time. I was told not to investigate at a certain point."

"Why not? You've always helped us," Dustin began, walking next to her, strolling his bike as well, "You want the best for us right?"

"I do, but...... I need to listen to them."

Lucas turned to Y/N who silently watched them, "There's gotta be a reason though! Will is our friend, he's missing. What if something happened to him?"

"That's the police's deal, not mine!" Y/N snapped at them who flinched at the odd action taken by her. Irritated, she looked to the distance, watching a group of boys around her age make these obnoxiously loud noises from afar.

Hearing the cryptic response, all of their jaws dropped, Y/N's never acted so.......stern, bland, stubborn, like ever. Their expressions dim, surprised at hearing the prolonged answer they've never thought would turn up out of Y/N's mouth. Frantically grabbing the bikes from the side, getting ready to pedal back home, Mike subtly shifted his glance towards the blank Y/N, waiting for them to leave, saying, "Seriously, what's wrong with you? You're supposed to be on our side."

"I'm just listening to what they're saying," Y/N crosses her arms due to the frigid weather outside, prepared to be able to walk home. Watching their saddened faces gloom in the outside, Y/N felt this other urge of guilt; why was she acting up so much already? Will was her main priority, so why wasn't she helping them? What if Will was in grave danger? Why was she being so ignorant?

As thoughts flood her head, bringing this awful feeling, not being able of what to do, she quickly places a comforting yet rapid hand onto Mike's shoulder, catching him off guard, "Okay, it may seem as if I'm the bad guy, but at least I'll try my best. I'll let you know what goes on in the office, but under one condition, you guys cannot go investigate at all. Do you understand?"

Smiles brightening up, they rapidly nodded, a sense of relief that they're going to be able to find Will sooner or later thanks to the girl's help of her working as an intern to the most reliable place in search of safety of their friend. Happily, the boys rushed close up to Y/N, express their's gratitude for her for the decision she made after the fulfilling thoughts convincing her instinct. After exchanging the thanks you's and farewells, they biked away, in hopes of a successful retrieve of Will Byers. Y/N waved confidently as the rest biked away into the occupied sidewalks of students, a feeling of courage and determination swelling to her, walking away from the school premises to the Hawkins Police Department.