CHAPTER viii.

Deep Shit

THE cool fall breeze blew in the outdoors, the trees fumbling with movement, chatter created by the people. A shiver went down on Y/N's body who was sitting down at the porch Hawkins Police Department, the cars passing by the streets, she gazed in the silence. No thoughts. Just blank. It was more of an emptiness she felt, but she couldn't put a finger on it.

Abruptly, the girl heard footsteps behind her as the front door opened, instead of looking to see what it was, she continued to stare into the vague view.

"Hey Y/N," Victor's lanky figure towered over her as he softly spoke, "Your dad found out a few things you might be interested in."

No response from the girl. He frowned a bit and kneeled next to her, Victor gazes at the girl.

"It has to do with Will."

Slowly but surely, Y/N shifts her glance to meet his eyes. Victor knew this was so important to her, to put on a brave face to find Will. She mumbled a reply, "What happened?"

"Hopper talked to a few guys who were at Benny's and said they saw a confused boy approach the diner," He spoke, Victor noticed Y/N's face light up with hope, "They're not sure if it's Will, but it could be."

"That's great to know," Y/N smiled, standing up from where she was sitting, and Victor stood up along with her.

He nods and smiles hopefully, he fixes his glasses, "But are you okay?"

"Yeah, sort of," The girl shrugs, and turns to see that Hopper exited the building, "Oh hey dad, Vic told me about the good news."

"Yeah, good thing we have something," Hopper states, and walks over to his daughter, "But I don't think I'll be home for the rest of the night, I um- have a lot of work. I was wondering if you could maybe stay at a friend's house for now, I don't want you to be alone."

Y/N's furrowed her eyebrows, Hopper looked nervous, and nodded, "I was actually going to Mike's to check on the boys."

"Well that's great, I'll just give Karen a call," Hopper says, walking back into the building.

"Hello there Y/N!" Karen's peppy voice spoke out at the front door of the Wheeler's residence, she reached out to hold Hopper's daughter in her arms, "I hope you're doing okay, the boys are downstairs."

Y/N had a weak smile as she held her backpack and strode downstairs, her fingers sliding down the railings to hold her balance. She approaches the doorway, in hopes to find the group of boys that were imagined to be playing a board game.

As she reached to the rugged floor, the four figures were standing around the plaid couch placed beside the wall.

"Hey guys-" Y/N's voice cut off as the boys moved their small bodies to see her, they revealed a child with a shaved head looking up at her. "What the heck!"

Scared, the boys whipped their bodies towards Y/N with a frightened look on their faces. Dustin hurriedly threw his jacket over the child to try and hide it, it was startled. Mike nervously muttered, "Y/N its not what it looks like-"

"Why are you guys scaring him!" She exclaims, running towards the child to take off the jacket. The jacket slid off the child's body to reveal a face. His small button nose crinkled and his doe-shaped eyes gave a confused look. Y/N noticed the fright in the child's eyes, her hand slowly held the child's, softly speaking, "Hey, are you okay?"

"It's a she by the way," Dustin mumbled as he walked over to the three guys who were observing Y/N that was comforting the girl, she didn't speak.

"A what?" Y/N darted her eyes at them, they were panicked by the look in her. Why would the boys ever bring a girl over? "What are you guys even doing?"

The girl stayed quiet, waiting for an answer to come out of their mouths. She only squeezed her hand tighter around Y/N's. Mike didn't bother to answer at all.

"Mike," Y/N sharply said, "Why the fuck do you have a girl looking like this in your basement? Does you mom know?"

Lucas shook his head, Dustin and Mike looked down at their shoes. Y/N demanded a response, why were they being very secretive about this?

"Mike I swear to god if you never answer, I will tell your mom," Y/N ordered, her nerves were being tense, she turns to the girl as Y/N tries to get up, "You look lost. Do you want me to find Mike's mom?"

"FINE!" Mike yelled in a hush tone, he checked to see if the basement door was closed, then he returned to the sofa, kneeling next to her, "I don't know how to say this but we can't let anyone know she's here."

Y/N gave a pissed look on her face. She doesn't believe a single word Mike is telling her right now. She is eager to know, yet skeptical, "Stop playing right now."

"We're not," Lucas peeped from behind them, all of the boys had a serious look on their faces. Slowly, Y/N's heart began to drop, wondering if this was a serious cause.

Mike stared at Y/N, "The bad guys are after her."

"What the hell do you mean?" Y/N shook her head, angered, getting onto her feet and letting go. "I've had it Mike, I get that you're scared for Will, but it's not way to scare anyone like this. If you won't let me take this girl to your mom, I'll take her to the department, they'll know what to do."

"No," The girl on the sofa quietly spoke, her tone was soft. Y/N looked down at the girl, her beaded eyes made eye contact with hers, her small hands lifted up her sleeve, revealing a symbol on the forearm.

"What the hell," Y/N spoke under her breath, her fingers holding up the girl's forearm, "Eleven, what's that? Are you hurt?"

The girl was trembling a bit, she shook her head, and pointed to herself, "I am Eleven."

Y/N's eyes widened, she was far more concerned that ever, "Number?"

"Yes," Dustin answered, ruining the tender moment. The boys glared at Dustin, he continued to speak, "That's her name and she has pretty awesome powers."

"Excuse me? Powers? Are you kidding me?"Her head shifted to look at Dustin, she noticed Dustin smiling. Eleven subtly nodded next to Y/N, Y/N's mouth hung open as the girl confirmed it, "You have..."

"Powers."

It was almost as if her heart dropped to her stomach. Why was this girl even here? And if Mike was saying the truth, why would there be bad guys after her? Unless if it were a comic book they were living in. "Mike, is this true?"

"Yeah," He nodded strongly and was serious, "People, well erm- bad people are after her because she escaped, and if she returns, something will happen to her."

"She knows who Will is."

Y/N's eyes widened, Eleven wrapped her arms around her knees innocently, a glimpse of shock and hope hit her, "Really?"

The room went quiet, Y/N noticed the disturbed and disoriented look on Eleven, it felt like a coincidence. She looked offset, Y/N realized that maybe it was true. How did she know Will? So many questions filled her, there was a hope for Will. "So what do we do? We can't just leave her here right?"

"Mike! Dinner!"

A loud yell screamed from above, everybody in the room jumped at the surprise. Karen's voice was recognized, as Lucas and Dustin went upstairs to the basement's exit. Both Y/N and Mike covered Eleven in a blanket in her fort, they suggested her to be quiet.

Y/N pleasantly smiled and Eleven exchanged a soft grin as well, "I'm Y/N by the way, once I get dinner I'll be right back okay?"

The girl nods in comfort and a warm glance in her eyes, Y/N stands up to join Mike who was walking up the stairs with her. Her heart was warm, it felt nice to connect with the girl in a way, but she didn't know why.

"She's pretty cool right?" He asks, approaching the hallway that lead to the dining room, and he lightly tinted a shade of pink on his face.

Y/N shrugged, in some feeling of worry and confusion, she didn't know what was going on, "Yeah, but I think we're in deep shit."