IX || Spaventato

E M I L I A N O

E M I L I A N O

( A U R O R A ' S  N O N N O )

As I watch my granddaughter panicking I feel so utterly helpless. There was a wall I just couldn't break through in time to stop her worry.

When her head fell back, eyes closed and soft, steady breathing finally left her lips I breathed a sigh of relief.

Watching my son gently lift her up from her seat at the table, my heart tugged. My poor Principessa. We all watch mesmerised as Francesco carries the small angelic girl out, and towards her bedroom.

I turn to look at Evanna and see her eyes welled up with tears. Since my daughter in law's parents are no longer in her life, Carmella and I have helped fill in the role she had lost.

I lock eyes with Evanna and she instantly runs towards me crying into my chest. I know how much it breaks her to see her baby in pain like this. Most others in the room disperse into different areas of the house until it's only Evanna, Carmella, Alessandro, Leonardo and I.

I calmly stroke Evannas hair and her breathing steadies. Once she becomes calm again she inhales deeply and steps away. My wife, Carmella and I, join hands and smile sadly at the three others standing there.

My heart constricts as I see the pain filled gazes in the room. We all worry so greatly about her, but don't know how to help her without causing excess harm.

Alessandro's face portrays, worry, sadness, pity and anger. All I know we are all feeling right now. He's always been so close with Rory that now, when she isn't, it's hitting him ten times harder.

The whole family was left in a solemn state when she was taken, with no leads for almost two years. We even worried that once we got her back she wouldn't remember us, she was so young when it happened.

She was taken because of a deal we made with the Russian mafia. When Francesco and Evanna began having children there was conflict between the Italian and Russian mafias, the way we solved it was to make a deal. The decision was that if the two were to have a daughter, she would be promised to marry the firstborn, and the Russian mafia heir, Viktor.

We only agreed because we were convinced we would never be given the gift of a girl, but many years later along came Aurora. Instantly, as a family we knew we couldn't let her marry but the boy, Viktor had an obsession with her and decided if we wouldn't let him have her, he would take her himself. It damaged the family to no end.

When she returned none of us expected her not to talk. We all know something horrific happened that caused that, a thing we all dread to find out.