Chapter 97

Derek had spent all morning getting much needed rest, it was one of the rare days they didn't have hammering, digging and major construction going on so close by with their house. The walls had gone up and most of the heavy exterior work concluding which had the crew now doing quiet indoor work like plaster and painting, electrical and putting tiles. Much to both Derek and Meredith's pleasure for their sleeping sake and for the sake that their house was almost done. One more step to their dream house they created together all those years ago that Christmas day.

As they lay tangled together in the sheets after Derek insisted they have Merry Christmas and have engagement sex Meredith still couldn't stop staring at her ring. Holding it up to the light as it caught the sun, watching it sparkle. She was mesmerized.

"It's so beautiful," she murmured into Derek's chest as he cuddled her close to his body.

"Not half as beautiful as you."

"That's so sappy, Derek." She giggled slapping his arm playfully before going back to staring and admiring her ring, but still burying herself further into his arms.

"I'm feeling a bit neglected you know, like you love that ring more than me." He play pouted as Meredith laughed looking at him then going right back to staring at her ring.

"I've just never gotten a gift so perfect before, meaningful." She looked up at him with tears in her eyes as he brought his hand up to her cheek to brush her tears away. Giving her the strength to continue.

"My mom bought me a lot of things. I had money to buy myself a lot of things, but this love and what this ring means. It's just, Der it's the most important item I have ever gotten from anyone or have. It's more than just another thing, a bribe from my mom because she's missing a birthday or a deposit made by her accountant to keep me occupied. This ring, it means everything, it means so much, it means our future." She whispered as the tears continued to fall.

"I know, this ring is my promise to you. We'll get you through college and med school. I'll get through my internship and residency. We'll get that house we dreamed about, our lake, our kids. We'll have it all Mer, I promise you I'll give you all the love I have to give." He poured his heart out to her as they both had tears in their eyes now, before he raised her face to his and slowly captured her lips in a gently kiss of love, promises and their future.

Smiling of his memory, emerging from the trailer with the most genuine smile on his face he decided that before going into work he made a note to stop by the house site to see how fast the guest house would be done.

It hadn't been a main concern for Meredith and Derek before since it wasn't attached to the main house, so it didn't affect their moving in date. When they started building they didn't expect to have company fast nor need a guest house immediately. They told the builders the main house for Christmas is what they really wanted and everything else they finished before they moved in was icing on the cake.

However with Mark and Addison coming now it looks like the need for a guest house was going to sooner than they expected. At least until Mark and Addison finish fighting over their own house which knowing Addison could take awhile, Mark would probably end up wanting to live in the guest house permanently while Addison ran to a hotel. If his best friend and his girlfriend's dramatic relationship was still the same and considering his chickening out of the proposal Derek knew it was.

He laughed to himself as he walked to his car heading out to the hospital, you could never be bored with Mark and Addison drama around.