California Girls

“Come on come on in.” I shook my head as I watched my best friend Kellie run off towards the beach with two gorgeous surfers. California had not disappointed us. Sun, waves and hot guys, they were studs but I was taken. I pulled my phone out of my shorts pocket while the others frolicked in the sea. They were both trying to teach Kellie to surf. She kept falling off of the board. Every time she fell she’d take one of them with her. She was so obvious. Not to them but to me, ‘cause I knew her.

I looked down to my mobile in my hand. I didn’t know what to say. I’d hardly seen Mason all summer and Kellie refused to let me call him first. I closed my eyes and waited for some inspiration. “Come on in, don’t be boring.” I opened my eyes and Kellie was standing right in front of me, her hands on her hip as she glared at me then my phone. Her hair was dripping wet and her makeup had officially washed off. Her green bikini stuck to her curvy body. I wished I had curves. Kellie had a killer bod. Boobs, hips, bum. It’d be a struggle to find any fat on her. It’d probably be a struggle to find any on me to be honest but some curves would be kick ass. My Kiera Knightley boy body isn’t doing it for me. I guess it does something for Mason. “I don’t fancy it right now, maybe later.” Kellie huffed and turned her back to me. “You better not be texting that boyfriend of yours we are in sunny California where they guys all look like Abercrombie and Fitch models.” With that she ran back into the sea.

The view was beautiful. The tranquil blue of the sky meeting the pink horizon just above sapphire waters, it was like a painting. I smiled. I knew what to text Mason.  Sitting on the beach right now, wish you were here. C x I waited and waited for my reply, it was 3pm here so 11pm in the UK Mason would still be up. After an hour I slid my phone back onto my pocket and regretted sending the text in the first place. This holiday was about us getting away, having a break from college, from life, from everything. Well for me it was. For Kellie it was to see how many guys she could get with. We had three days left and she wasn’t doing too bad, she’d managed to at least get a kiss off a guy every night so far. I threw my phone out of my pocket and kicked my flip flops into the air. I ran to join them, why shouldn’t I have fun on my holiday, I deserve it.

Our Californian studs were trying so hard to teach us how to surf. I could just about balance on the board. “You’ve had an extra hour’s training how can you not do this yet?” I asked Kellie as we both emerged from the sea. “Well they’re so hot I don’t actually listen to what they tell me to do.” I shook my head at her, Kellie was something else. “Race you back.” Kellie propelled back to the shore making me wonder if she had in fact listen to something Brad and Chad had taught her. I tried to keep up with her but little tides kept washing over me choking me. Kellie never looked back once. I was almost there. “I won.” Kellie yelled. I opened my mouth to retaliate back and wished I hadn’t. The tide that engulfed me was much bigger, I was spluttering. Within ten seconds three tides took me over.  I was pushed back further. The shore looked miles away. The boys were shouting from the shore but I couldn’t hear a word they were saying. All I could hear was my heart thundering in my ears. I was going to drown. I was going to die on a beach in California while my best friend on looked with two hot guys. Suddenly the thought of death didn’t seem so bad. No pain, no stress, no pressure just you and God and your relatives. I stopped swimming and let the waves over take me. They were choking me, the water was filling my lungs. I should have wrote a note or something, poor Kellie  was going to get the blame for dragging innocent me out of the beach house to surf with strangers. I was sad about that but what could I do, live? Not when it was so much easier to die. I closed my eyes and waited for death.