The Night Before

The days leading up to Friday entailed Harry, Fred, George and Ginny huddled round the living room coffee table planning and scheming. Hermione thought that no matter how prepared you all were, something was bound to go wrong. She felt it.

"You're jinxing it already," Ginny would chastise her, cheeks flushed with wisps of her flaming red hair falling out of a loose ponytail. Hermione took no notice.

You left the four of them to it, not wanting to insert yourself in the plan of action too much. Thinking about sneaking into Juliet's house whilst the twins are at such high risk of being put under the guise of a potion again made you want to vomit. Instead, you helped Molly around the house, busying your hands and mind as much as humanly possible.

Surely enough, Thursday afternoon rolled around in no time. The foursome had quite a solid plan in place ready for the following evening, Ginny was eager to go through it once the Weasley parents had gone to bed.

Ron moped around de-gnoming the garden much to his dismay - Molly's orders. The two of you hadn't said a word to one another in what felt like years, only exchanging an awkward glare every once in a while. Stubborn git, he was.

In fact you were too, meaning you were both a match made in heaven when it suited, but being too similar was a curse. In times where anxiety and worry struck you like a lightning bolt, Ron was always there to talk to, to help distract you.

What you really wanted was to lay on his bed, whilst he stroked your hair and read you one of your favourite books. Your chest felt hollow when you thought about it, heart yearning to have your best friend back. However what you understood was a platonic friendship, obviously meant something different to Ron.

When Ginny wasn't acting as a commissioned officer, she was planning a surprise birthday party for Harry - with the help of you and Hermione, of course.

Harry's birthday was next week, in hand signifying the beginning of the end of the summer holidays. You were excited for the party, but summer coming to a close made your stomach drop.

Since the twins had now graduated from Hogwarts, you would barely see them once returning to your beloved school. On the bright side, they were opening the joke shop in September, so you would be making as many trips there as you were allowed. You could barely wait, wishing that time would stand still yet double its speed all at the same time.

The cool summer breeze cascaded scents of the countryside through the air, combing a gentle breeze through your hair as you hung freshly washed laundry out to dry - having to dodge the odd gnome here and there.

"Ouch! You little bugger!," came a distressed cry from Ron at the other end of the garden. Quickly there was a scurrying past your feet, the gnome in question hurrying past you making a hasty attempt to re-burrow itself into a nearby mound.

"Oh no you don't," you said, dropping the wooden pegs in your hands in time to grip the gnome's small feet before it disappeared into the soil. You spun the creature up around your head a few times to dizzy it, before launching it across into the wheat fields as far as you could throw.

"Should set a Jarvey on those little fuckers," Ron scowled, suckling the side of his finger in an attempt to stem the trickling of blood from an apparent gnome bite.

"I don't think that's necessary," you told him bluntly, strolling to meet him at the end of the garden so you could take his finger into your hands, studying his wound. Ron didn't pull away despite your expectation of him doing so, allowing you to wrap part of your t-shirt around it.

Ron flicked his eyes from your actions to your face - his nose crumpled, top lip upturned and puckered. You didn't meet his gaze despite feeling the burning of his eyes on your face, checking his wound every couple of seconds before the bleeding stopped.