Getting to Know You

alexa, play 'blind spot' by maddie zahm

—————

To say that the joke shop was now teeming with even more life was an understatement. The multitude of clashing colours lining the shelves and bursting from every corner made your eyes sore. Not bad for a few hours of work.

In the other corner of the shop, right next to the front door, Fred and Juliet were finishing stacking boxes upon boxes of "Weasleys' Wildfire Whiz-bangs". The product came in two boxes - one (the 'Basic Blaze Box') worth five galleons, the other (the 'Deflagration Deluxe') worth twenty, and they were arranged in the shape of a huge firework. Even Fred had to fetch the stepladders in order to finish the display.

George on the other hand, was rearranging boxes of the "Weasley's Wonderful Whipper Whizzers", the candy floss scented bang snaps that were inspired by you. No matter which way he placed them, he'd screw up his face and move a box, only to observe the display to do the same again.

The boxes were piled high on either side of the cashier counter, the pale blush pink pairing rather nicely with the purple desk. "Need any help?" you asked him, but his face only scrunched up tighter.

"No thankyou," he dismissed, taking another box in his hand and tapping his foot impatiently whilst he ran his eyes over the display. Watching his own frustration gave you a headache, he was never normally this particular, especially not this irritated.

"Here, let me help," you offered, going to take the box out of his hand, however George snapped his arm up way out of your reach. "I said no thankyou" he rebuked, raising his voice enough for Fred and Juliet to now be looking over at the small commotion.

Your stomach swam, immediately regretful of trying to take over what he was doing. "I'm so-" you tried to apologise, but he cut you off. "Just listen to me! Instead of sticking your nose in!" he glowered, returning his concentration to the stockpile of boxes whilst pulling his bottom lip between his forefinger and thumb.

It was a small detail you noticed that George would do, during the odd occasional times he was visibly irate. Pulling on his bottom lip so hard it was almost as if he was expecting it to peel right off.

You swallowed, all too aware of the eyes boring into your back. You couldn't join Fred and Juliet, not after that, and wanted to give George some space. He could feel the aura you were radiating, and it wasn't pleasant. It was mainly culpability and remorse. A concoction of pure disarray, an aura you were used to emitting.

As wrong as it was, you tried not to stare at George's hands as he played with his lip. Not a single morsel of this situation was hot and you felt shameful for finding attraction in it; but the way his tendons moved under his skin, and the definition of his veins, you very nearly had to smack yourself to pull your head out of the gutter.

A display diagonal from him caught your eye, the vomit inducing violently pink 'WonderWitch' line. You picked up a vial of 'Cupid Crystals', tilting it in your hands to admire the pearlescent sheen of the liquid inside. 'Crush Blush' was one of your favourite potions, one that makes the drinker become infatuated with the giver.

You recalled that one morning in the Great Hall, chewing on a mouthful of toast when you overheard the twins talking about it further down the table. "One swig of this and they'll be head over heels for you," Fred gushed, parading his familiar charming smile and batting his eyelashes at the girls sitting opposite. He never had a problem with wooing the ladies, and being honest neither did George.

Not only were they great inventors and businessmen, they also knew how to sell a product. Back then, you rolled your eyes and glared at them over the top of your glass of orange juice. You almost choked on it when Fred caught you looking, the tip of his tongue at the corner of his mouth as he smiled.