the trip {1}

It was 3:00 p.m.

All your clothes had been packed in a suitcase despite the fact that you weren't leaving to head to the airport for another 24 hours.

You were beyond excited.

You were going to take a plane to Texas to see your childhood friends Weston and Kalynn.

You three had been inseparable growing up, but when their family had to move for a big job opportunity when you were 15, you all did everything in your power to not lose touch. You texted in your group chat every day with little updates about things that had happened at school or just little annoying things that your parents had said...

You would snap chat each other long videos of what you were doing and you guys would facetime as you got ready for bed. 

Though the more that time went on, the more you found the updates spreading themselves apart and going from every little things that you guys did in your everyday life to only updating with major life events. You wouldn't necessarily say that you guys had lost touch completely, but it seemed to be heading that way...

You had new friends who you'd spend time with and that you started facetiming and snapchatting, and you guessed the same thing happened to them. 

You'd sometimes swipe up from their stories on Instagram and Snapchat and they'd do the same with you... Which would elicit a 2-minute conversation. 

You were fine with how things were going, all good things had to come to an end. 

That was until Weston and Kalynn moved into an apartment together and they asked if you wanted to fly out and stay with them for a little bit as they were getting used to their new place.

It was completely unexpected, but you were enthusiastic to say yes. 

Of course, you had to ask your parents, but as your parents were still fairly close with their parents it didn't really bug them for you to fly out and spend that time down there. It's not like they were just random people you had met through the internet. 

Now here you were a few days later with your ticket purchased and your suitcase packed.

due to the trip, your group chat was now more active than it had been for a long time. Constant reminders of how excited you guys all were to finally reunite again. Kalynn would send pictures of the progress of their move and how the interior of their place was looking.

You had to give it to them, they were very neat and organized with their space. Everything that they had sent to you looked as if it was fresh out of a magazine, besides maybe a few boxes that scattered throughout their floors. You weren't sure if they were expecting you to crash in Kalynn's bed or if you were meant to just sleep on the couch since you hadn't really established how willing they were to share their personal space. That was a conversation for when you got there though. 

When they lived near you in North Carolina, you would sleep over their house constantly... You, Kalynn, and Weston would crowd together on a queen-sized bed and sleep like rocks despite the lack of legroom and the constant pushing around. Things were obviously different now.

You guys were no longer pre-teens who had nothing better to do than stay up till 3 in the morning talking about whatever happened at school the day before, what you were gonna wear the next day, who you guys liked at school, what teachers you hated, the things you wanted to plan to do when school was out for the summer...

You guys were 19 now and hadn't been together for roughly 4-5 years. Slowly losing touch and discovering new things about yourselves. You were sure it would be familiar to hang out with them again, but there's no denying that change is a scary thing that happens constantly. Even you weren't the same person you were when you were 15. 

Despite all that, there was still an absurd amount of excitement in your body.

You were going to be in Texas for 2.5 weeks and that was just enough time to rebuild your bond, but also enough time to make saying goodbye at the end of it even harder than it had to be.

You pulled out your phone to see if you had gotten any text updates, you were met with no notifications. You had basically had everything set anyway... They were going to pick you up when your flight landed and by that time it would be pretty late so you were just going to go back to their apartment, order some food, watch a movie and probably go to bed early as you'd be fairly tired and would want to spend as much as the next day catching up as you could.

Your phone rang through with a message from Kalynn. It was a picture of her and Weston in their living room. She sent a follow-up text that read

"can't wait 2 see u!"

You opened the camera of your phone and took a picture of you laying on your bed and wrote along with it

"i'm already packed up :)"

Kalynn sent a love reaction to your message and that was that.

You opened up your suitcase to triple-check that you had everything you'd need... Not that you couldn't run to the store to buy essentials, but it was always better to just make sure you actually had everything you needed.

You had made checklist upon checklist to make sure that you wouldn't run into that problem, and you were fairly confident that you had more than enough to last you your whole trip. At this point, you'd be set to stay for 2 months. 

You got back into bed after checking through your suitcase and start to relax after a long couple of days of packing.

You were more than excited for this trip to start.