prologue: all in her head

She's spending another night all alone in the dark woods, attempting to sleep for the first time in days; too tired to try to accomplish such.
She's begun to lose hope on survival as the days continue, practically praying on the moment her life passes as the world around her became so unbearable.

Constant lack of sleep, which drives her into a slow state of insanity as she fends for herself. She's a skilled fighter, though that's all she has left of herself, which is starting to whittle down with her lack of motivation to live. Draining herself everyday, where she wants to fall asleep and never wake up.

She lays on the bed of the forest floor, coos of crows shocking her out of any haziness she manages to fall in. Finding it hard to falling asleep once again, she would've given up just then if a white clouds didn't take over her vision. Pulling her into an unconscious state; trying to fight the unknown, before she gave herself to the white light calling for her— maybe this is her finale, that's what she hopes for.

Something calls for her as her body drops to the ground, leaving a thud to ripple into the night.

The overcast clouds her vision, all around her covered in a stark white. This surely isn't any world she knew; the one she lives in is far too dark for all this light. She spins in the same spot, her heart wonders for answers as her brain tries to comprehend the state of being it's creating.

Is this the after life?

The in between of life and death?

The fog begins to clear, now white isn't the only color she sees. A blurred shade of a hunter green stands far away. As the being turns, it reveals more colors, speckles of black, a tan-ish white, almost a skin tone shade.
Wherever she is, she certainly isn't alone.

The colors become more clear to her as it brakes through the mist, it's face is toned, with stunning emerald green eyes that are vibrant on their own, though the white background complemented them more. It has dirty blond fluffy hair, that is semi-unruly. Topping its face off with light brown freckles. It scares her as it approached, though it isn't charging. Slowly cascading across the clouds to her, with passive, benign footsteps. She can't tell, but he is as confused as she.

"You're alone, aren't you?" His head tilts, his green eyes are gentle, he can tell she is scared, though he is as well.

She doesn't speak words, rather giving him a nod to show her state, before tossing her head back to the floor.

"It's okay, I am too." He nears closer to her, not close enough to touch her though, as he doesn't want to spook her anymore than she already had been.

"W-where are we?" She slowly looks up into the eyes that slowly calmed her; being the most prominent part about his face, the most recognizable.

"I'm not sure myself, I've never been here before," He spoke softly, a tone he hasn't used in a long time. "It has to mean something though, how did you get here?"

"I don't know," Her voice shudders, she thought she hadn't been scared of death or the possibility of such until she was brought to this situation where she worried she might. "I tried to fall asleep, something dragged me here."

"Likewise." He fumbles with the bottom of his cloak between his fingers, he's anxious.

"Who are you—" She began, before the body in front of her turns to dust that flys around the air until he's fully gone.
Her thoughts fly a mile a minute as she hears another voice; the same gentle voice that came as the person who stood before her briefly.
"To the north— go to the north."

As a golden shaded compass floats in front of her eyes, presented on a fluffy cloud. She isn't hesitant to reach out, it was all so surreal to her eyes.

She watched her body fade out much like the human, before she's dropped back into original position in the woods. Only now, the sunlight peered through the trees.
She looks down at her hands, there sat a heavy golden compass like the one she acquired in the clouded world she was previously in.

Was this just a silly dream; or had her subconscious be warning her— helping her?
She did feel safe with the voice who was trying to guide her; she didn't have anywhere better to go either, maybe this would be good for her. She lost all hope regardless.

So she stood up, covered in dirt and grime, allowing the compass to guide her wherever it pleased— to the north.