Chapter Sixteen

Maxwell ~ Five and a half years ago

Tonight is the final game of the season. Next year I'm going to be a senior and that's when recruits will really be up my ass.

If we win tonight, we win the championship title and I should probably be sweating it, but I'm not. I think I've got this.

Plus, maybe a little brunette with freckles told me she'd be here.

It's been three weeks since Rylie and I kissed. Again.

I still sneak into her room every night and we've had a few stolen moments in the hallway of home or school.

Nothing serious, though, and nothing more than a kiss.

Fuck, I want more, but I'm holding back because I know my parents wouldn't be okay with it if word got out about whatever it is we have going on.

After the game tonight is a party. We usually don't have parties on week nights, but tomorrow is senior skip day.

Even though I'm not a senior, as far as the basketball team goes, I might as well be.

Because of this, I'm ditching school tomorrow, too.

Maybe I can convince Rylie to ditch with me, as long as my sister won't tell.

Hell, Rachel will probably ditch with her boyfriend. They've been sucking face everywhere lately. It's gross.

Coach finishes his pep talk that I realize only now I've totally tuned out, then we do our pregame ritual chant and run out of the locker room.

The championship game is on our home court, giving us the advantage.

We get the ball first, and it immediately gets passed to me.

I'm known for my three pointers.

I'm good at everything else, too, but I've got an exceptional shot.

The adrenaline comes like an old friend through my veins, and my vision singles in on the goal. I dribble down the court, dodging the attempts to steal the ball or trip me up. I fake out the guy to my left, causing him to stumble backwards and then I shoot.

Score.

Three points on the board thanks to me.

I'm not cocky. At least, I don't think I am. I'm just really fucking good at basketball, and I'm aware of it. I've worked hard for this. No time to be humble when we've got a game to win.

As I'm running back down the court, I spare a glance towards the spot my parents always occupy.

Rylie, with my number painted on her cheek and one of our school jerseys, sits with a high-ponytail on top of her head and a big smile.

She looks perfect.

I've found myself looking forward to her. Even if I only see her for a moment.

When I'm at my biological dad's and shit gets rough, all I think about is coming home to her.

She kissed my bruises again this past week. She was gentle and took her time. I wiped her tears as she worked, putting my pain to ease.

I wanted to take things farther then, but everyone was home and still awake.

Snapping my attention back to the game, I dribble the ball and sprint.

Eyeing an open teammate, I pass it and he makes the shot. Two more points. This team doesn't even have a chance. I almost feel bad for them.

Almost.

The first and second quarters come and go with us leading by a long shot. The parents of the other team are yelling about calling the game, but their head coach refuses to give up.

At halftime, the cheerleaders come out and do their routine. My teammates keep talking about one girl, who apparently forgot to put her bra on. "Forgot". I'm sure it wasn't an accident.

I don't care to look, though. I'm too focused on Rylie.

She's talking to my mom about something and they're both sharing a laugh.

The way she throws her head back so carelessly, seemingly enjoying the moment, makes me grin.

Rylie has demons on her back. Ones that haunt her, especially at night. But she keeps on going as if they aren't there.

That takes fucking strength.

I don't play most of the third quarter because coach is letting the bench get their moment of fame.

He puts me back in the fourth and I fuck around with those on the court, making trick shots and goofing off. It pisses off the other team and their coach, but we don't care.

We won the championship, baby!

When the buzzer sounds all my teammates crowd together celebrating.

This is the best feeling in the world. I can't imagine how this will feel on the big screen one day, if I make it there.

We all head into the locker room after high-fiving the other team and ignoring the sly comments they mumble under their breath.

I peel my jersey off along with my shorts and walk into a shower stall to rinse myself off.

I'm finished in less than five minutes and I throw on jeans and a t-shirt, then go to find Rylie.

Like I figured, she's standing with my mom, dad and sister.

Mom hugs me first, followed my Rachel. My dad pats me on the back.

Rylie gives me a soft little grin and thumbs up. I know we both want more than that, but for now, that'll do.

"We're having a small get together to celebrate." Lie. It's going to be a huge party, but my parents don't need to know that.

"Okay. Be careful. Don't be out too late."

They head for the front doors while I hang back to wait on the rest of my teammates, turning to walk back down the hall to the locker rooms.

I hear footsteps running towards me, and before I can turn around, my shirt is being grabbed and I'm being pulled into an empty classroom.

I get a split-second glance at Rylie's face before her lips are on mine.

I'm so shocked, I don't kiss her at first, but I quickly adjust.

She's kissing me hungrily, like she can't get enough and I fucking love it.

Usually I kiss her first, so this is a nice surprise.

I scoop her up from underneath her thighs and she locks her ankles behind my back. I push her back against the wall, not breaking our lips apart once.

I bite her bottom lip, dragging it out gently with my teeth and her fists hold onto my shirt tighter.

"I need to go." She pulls back, giggling and breathless. "I told them I left something in the gym."

"No. Not now." It's physically painful at the thought of stopping, but I know she's right. We can't get carried away here and my parents are waiting for her in the car.

"Have fun at the party."

"I wish you could come."

"Me too." She sighs, resting her forehead on mine.

"Seeing you in this jersey is hot."

"Maybe I'll sleep in it then." I literally groan at the thought, causing her to laugh. She unhooks her legs and plants her feet onto the ground. "Go celebrate your victory. Just not too much."

Rylie goes to walk away, but I grab her wrist, pulling her back against my chest.

Fuck the party. I don't even want to go anymore.

"I just have to go show my face and then I'm coming home. Wait up for me."

"I might." She shrugs, but the gleam in her eye suggests that she'll be awake.