Chapter Nineteen

Rylie ~ Present

I finally got the hideous kitchen table replaced. Now, in front of the window sits a beautiful, sleek, black table. It's also got matching chairs and I even added a vase of glass marbles and fresh white roses. Maybe the roses aren't Maxwell's vibe, but I don't care. They're cute.

I also got Maxwell's office finished with a mahogany desk, authentic leather chair and made an appointment for a nice, velvet red sofa to be delivered.

I'm taking a lunch break when Maxwell comes out of the gym.

"What are you eating?"

"I brought left over chicken."

I shrug at my bland meal and hold up my bowl for him to see.

"You know you're welcome to anything here, right?"

"I know, but I needed to eat this before it went bad."

"How much have you had?"

"I don't know, Maxwell. What is this?" I laugh, "Are you policing my lunches now?"

"No." He places his elbows on the counter, "I was just thinking of running out. Would you care to join me?"

I look down at my dry chicken then back up at him. I shouldn't go, but this meal isn't appetizing and I'm starving.

"Yes." I make a face, setting the bowl down. "This isn't good reheated."

"Let me change. Then we'll go."

I wait for him in the living room, staring down at the city below.

Atlanta isn't a big city compared to others, but it's big for the south. When I was little I used go dream about living in one of these penthouses and driving an expensive car. I used to dream about a time where I wouldn't be in a shitty apartment with my mother in a comatose state and where my brother wouldn't nearly kill himself with how hard he was working for me.

I might not have the penthouse or Lambo, but I think considering the circumstances I've done all right. I like my cute apartment on the outskirts of town and white Jeep Cherokee.

"Okay, I'm ready."

I turn around to look at him. He's changed into cotton shorts and a light blue short sleeve Henley.

"What are we eating?"

"I'm in the mood for a sub. That okay with you?"

"Sounds good."

We walk the short distance from his apartment to a cute little café. The inside is decorated with succulents and cacti, and their themed menu consists of tropical subs and a few regular options.

I decide to stick with my favorite— ham and cheese. Yes, I eat like a child. Maxwell on the other hand, gets a sub with chicken, pineapple and some weird sauce on it.

"This is great." He covers his mouth with his hand, shielding me from his still full mouth.

"Mine is good too."

"Yeah, Rylie. Of course it is. We've all known that since kindergarten."

"Hush!" I tease him, feeling myself blush a little.

"By the way, I love what you're doing with my place. It already looks way better than anything I could've done on my own."

"Thank you. When I'm finished I'm hoping it'll bring in clients for me. No one wants an interior designer with no experience."

"You need to pull out some of the projects you did in high school. They were fantastic."

"Thanks." My chest warms a little at the thought that he remembers those. I threw most of them away when I moved for college.