03

TAHANI DIDN'T CARE if her shoes fell to pieces by the time she got back to the palace, she needed to be as far away from that village—from Jimin—as she could

Trust her to step one foot out of the palace and come back with seven loaves of bread and a whole lot of humiliation. All because she thought the man was cute.

Oh, but he wasn't just cute, was he?

He sparked some kind of childish wonder in Tahani, setting her soul ablaze but also seeming to provide a warmth that she wished she could rest in forever.

Every time he spoke, she forgot her own name. Every time he smiled, she felt her heart skip a beat. Every time he looked at her, she felt herself slowly gasping for air.

What was this feeling?

She finally reached their agreed meeting place, finding her younger sister resting against their infamous tree, fingers tracing the blade of one of her favourite weapons. The night market stalls had all been taken down; the barren land only imprinted with the scattered trees now.

As she approached Verine, Tahani pulled the container of bread closer to herself, shifting her weight to make it easier to carry. Jimin had offered to take it back with her, but she persisted in being alone. She'd said she didn't want to bother him as it was already late and he had a long way to walk back. The truth was that, really, she needed a break from the embarrassment she kept putting herself through.

When the younger girl spotted Tahani, her eyes perked up, although she raised an eyebrow upon seeing the box she was carrying.

"Why do you have—"

"Don't ask," the older cut her off, motioning her chin at Zoë's ribbon that was still fixed in place. "I guess our beloved Liv will not be joining us for the night."

Verine giggled, "I guess not."

"Lucky girl," Tahani snorted, "Living her best life."

"He better be a unicorn," she sighed, "I can't believe we still haven't met him."

"We'd have to wait for Kal to come around, I assume."

The younger gasped, "What do we tell her?"

"Well, it's not like this is the first time Liv's spent the night away," they stepped into the carriage waiting for them, "We could say she turned in early."

"Will that work?"

"I hope so."

When the two returned to the palace, a few of their responsible sisters had already settled in bed. This included Kalliste, and the girls were thankful for that fact as they were not looking forward to the conversation she would have had about Zoë's absence.

On the other hand, Tahani needed to spill. She needed to let out all the crazy thoughts running through her mind, lay them out in the air for someone else to dissect.