06

THAT EVENING AFTER dinner, when everyone had retired to their rooms, Zoë and Tahani had agreed to meet in the east wing, planning on exiting through the staff entrance

THAT EVENING AFTER dinner, when everyone had retired to their rooms, Zoë and Tahani had agreed to meet in the east wing, planning on exiting through the staff entrance. Upon seeing each other, they could only stifle a laugh, for they had both dressed in their finer clothing, hair and makeup perfectly done despite the fact that it wouldn't be visible in the darkness outside.

Hooking her arm through her sister's, Tahani had to attempt to tip-toe in a way that wouldn't allow for her anklet bells to chime too loudly. She had forgotten about its jingle; it was second nature to her.

A recent gift from their oldest sister, she'd been asked never to take it off. She didn't mind it, however, the gorgeous kolusu being impeccably tailored to match her in every way possible, it had become one with her.

"Hurry," Zoë hissed, worried about the noise she was making, "Get outside."

"I'm going, I'm going," her heart was beginning to pick up speed, thinking about where she would be in an hour or so, who she would be seeing.

They finally left the palace, finding a carriage waiting. "What? There's—"

"Sh, sh," Zoë guided her to their vehicle, "It's okay, I trust him with my everything. Hop on."

And so she did, placing her hands flat on her lap when she was seated. Eyes staring at the front of the carriage, the space just left of Zoë's shoulder as she sat opposite her.

Tahani felt her heart rise a little, a heart that's been constantly begging to shine like the others slowly elate. It was starting to crack open, and she didn't know what that meant for her.

"Would you like to be dropped off at the place where the night market is, Tani?" Zoë snapped her out of her trance.

"Huh? Oh, yeah, that sounds good."

She and Jimin had agreed to meet at the beach that he had introduced her to previously, a five-minute walk from the night market.

Looking outside the window of the carriage, Tahani started to recognise the path she was on. The trees she passed, the houses in the distance, the little makeshift shops.

And just like the fast rhythm of the galloping of the horse, her heart continued to race.

Badum. Badum. Badum.

She was getting nearer to Jimin.

A moment later, the carriage slowed down, Tahani's heart pounding so hard in her chest that she couldn't feel it. If it weren't for Zoë's little pats on her knee, she would have continued to play with her hair until it was all braided at its ends.

"Okay," Tahani heaved in a deep breath as she held each side of the carriage door before stepping out. "Okay, I got this."

"You do, angelo," Zoë kissed the top of Tahani's head, an action that all the sisters seemed to do often, "Go get him."