Chapter Two

Lydia and I watch on, me with a bit more surprise than Lydia who still doesn't understand the significance of the clean-up hitter, as the boy steps into the batter's box, the epitome of ease.

He takes one ball in the dirt and one inches above his head before he hits a clean sweep to the outside corner of right field, earning himself a triple and sending Carson home.

He doesn't get the opportunity to score, unfortunately, and as quickly as our runs are scored, two more people are out and the Frogs are jogging back onto the field.

The sun has completely disappeared now, as well as the golden glow that was being cast down.

Now, the only light is from the tall lights above, shining down across the wide expanse of field.

The score doesn't change - in fact, nothing really changes - until the fourth inning when, as Carson is giving the pitcher a signal, the boy sees me, locking eyes with me for a few seconds.

He glances over at Carson, who gives a slight nod, and then finds my eyes again, giving me a slight wink.

A wink obvious enough that it sends butterflies fluttering up into my throat.

"Please tell me you saw that," I say to Lydia who, eyes glued to the back of Carson's helmet, mumbles, "Saw what?"

"Never mind," I glare over at her, "I think I imagined it anyway."

But I didn't imagine it.

Seconds later, as the pitcher strikes that batter out and another one jogs up to the plate, he winks again.

"Okay, I did see that," Lydia screeches, tapping my leg excitedly, "And it was totally meant for you."

"No, it wasn't," I say, glancing behind me to prove that it was for another spectator, but there's nobody behind us.

We're completely alone in this section.

"Maybe it was for you," I say at the smug look on Lydia's face.

"I'm dating Carson."

"But he doesn't know that," I reason, "And you're obviously the prettier one out of the two of us."

"Aw, Car," Lydia gives me a sympathetic smile, "Don't sell yourself short. I know tons of guys that would love to date a redhead."

"Name one."

"That pitcher," she replies, proudly, "Trust me. That wink wasn't for me."

The game is a complete disaster for the other team - a quick, easy win and start to the season for the Frogs.

Afterwards, following a few straggling members of the team to the bus, I see my brother standing next to the vehicle, his arms crossed tightly over his chest, his hat slightly skewed on his head, talking to another member of the team.

As we approach, Lydia hugs Carson from behind, instantly making me feel like a third wheel, so I turn to congratulate the other boy on his win.

When my eyes meet a pair of emerald green eyes, I feel my own widen in shock.

I imagine, were Lydia to turn around and notice anything other than her boyfriend, that her face would look much the same, but finally, after a few, tense moments of silence, the boy clears his throat.

"Hi," a glance at the ground and then back up at me, "I'm Easton."

"You're the pitcher," I reply, lamely, unsure of what else to say.

The pitcher, Easton, seems surprised that I'd recognize him.

He gives a brief nod.

When I realize he isn't going to say anything else, I continue, "You pitched a really good game, as in the greatest game of pitching I think I've ever seen."