Chapter Nine

There isn't much conversation between the four of us until we get our plates of food and sit back down to eat.

Bethany, surprisingly, turns to me to make small talk, "You play softball, too, right?"

I nod.

"What position?"

"Catcher."

Easton gives a small smile, but doesn't say anything.

Before long, the food is cleared and the dancing begins.

When a slow song starts, Easton sheds his sling, holding his injured arm out to me, "Care to dance?"

I shake my head, "I'm not a good dancer."

Truth is, I've never danced with anyone, so I don't know how good I am.

If I have to guess, I'd say I'm probably bad.

"Come on," he takes my hand, eyes glancing over to where Bethany and Dylan sit, tantalizingly saying, "Don't turn me down in front of my big sister."

Sneaking a glance over at Bethany, I see her wiggle her eyebrows, an Easton-identical smile playing about her lips before Dylan offers her a hand and takes her onto the dancefloor.

"I've never," I clear my throat, saying quietly, "Slow danced with anyone before."

Easton looks skeptical, but after I don't laugh, or even smile, he must realize I'm being serious.

"I'll teach you."

"What about your elbow?"

"Car," he laughs, "You're stalling. I'm not planning on dancing with my feet in the air and my hands on the ground. I think I'm safe."

I chuckle, but place my hand in his, allowing him to lead me onto the already packed floor.

"You're a natural," he whispers when I put my hand on his shoulders, swaying to the soft beat.

"I've watched one too many romance movies," I admit and I hear Easton's quiet laughter.

"So," he says after a moment, his exhaled breath fanning the hair around my face, "You've never been to a school dance, then?"

"Eighth grade," I say after a brief moment of consideration, "I went to a middle school dance, but I played dodgeball the entire time."

"Dodgeball?" He can barely contain his laughter, "At a school dance?"

"Well, not at the dance," I say, biting down on my bottom lip to keep from laughing, "There was a separate room set up with a dodgeball tournament to entertain kids like me."

"Did you win?"

"No, but I did leave with a concussion, so that was a win for me."

"A concussion is a win?"

"It is when you're in middle school and you think that you're cool because of it."

This time, he really does laugh, drawing a couple stares in our direction, but just as quickly, his cheeks turn pink.

"Can I ask you something? It's kind of personal."

"Oh, um," I glance bashfully down and then back up, meeting his intense emerald eyes, "Yeah."

"Have you ever kissed anyone?"

Of all the personal questions I was expecting him to ask me, whether or not I've kissed anybody wasn't on the list.

I surprise myself by laughing, "I already told you that I've never had a boyfriend, so what do you think?"

"Well, for one," he begins, "I thought you meant you didn't have a boyfriend, like, at the time. Have you really never dated anyone?"