Chapter Fifteen

***Carly's POV***

Between Monday and Friday this week, Easton and I spend absolutely every moment together that we can.

There were times, so many times, I thought, just as I did on that cliff, that he'd kiss me, but it was always with disappointment stirring in my gut that he turned away.

Tonight is our last night together - the night I'd been absolutely dreading since we became friends, long before we began dating.

But it's here and unfortunately, there's nothing I can do to slow it down.

When the knocking rings out across Lydia and I's room, I can't help but walk slower to the door than I had in the past, knowing that it's the last time I'll throw the door open to see Easton standing on the other side, smiling.

Lucky for me, Easton doesn't look as sad I feel. He looks as if it's just another a night, a wide smile broken across his face and his hand outstretched.

"What are we going to do tonight?" I temporarily ignore his hand to cross my arms across my chest, "What does the great Easton Trout have planned?"

"The best surprise yet," he winks, "Don't you trust me?"

A brief wave of Deja vu hits me when he says that, but I blink away the nostalgia and slide my hand through his, "Let's not waste a second, then."

He leads me towards the elevator door, but when it slides shut, he hits the 'up' button.

"What are you doing?" I ask, laughing, "You hit the wrong button."

I reach for the 'down' arrow, but he steps in front of it, laughing, "No, I didn't."

I know, in that moment, what he has planned.

As expected, he leads me up to the roof - to our place.

"How'd you know that this hotel even had a stairwell to the roof?"

"I didn't, but I was really hoping."

I tilt my head back and laugh as he goes up through the trapdoor, holding it open for me as I step through.

Together, we settle ourselves onto the edge, my legs dangling over the side - the same as the first time we'd done this, but this time, I'm not scared.

There isn't an ounce of fear coursing through me.

"What are the chances," Easton begins after a moment, looping his arm around my shoulders, "That your parents let you stay one more night?"

I pretend to consider, though I already know what I'm going to say, "Highly unlikely."

He hangs his head in mock disappointment, "It wouldn't hurt to ask."

Our car is already packed full of all of our non-essentials and ready to head back home, so there's nothing that I, nor Easton, can say that's going to persuade my parents to change their minds.

We're lucky we got this week together.

"How about instead of living in the future, worrying about what else we can get, we just live in this moment? Right here," I crane my neck to meet his eyes, "Right now."

He considers before tapping me on the tip of the nose and saying, "That's no fun."

I do nothing but giggle, settling my gaze on the skyline beyond.

After nearly an hour of nothing but chirping crickets and the presence of each other, we decide to go get ice cream, yet another thing that brought us together.