Chapter Twenty-One

The fire dances to life right before my eyes, burning so high it seems as if it will catch the tips of the surrounding trees on fire.

The annual Oakwood High Bonfire has begun.

Taking place in the far-out countryside, miles from anything other than farmland, no one is quite sure where the tradition began, but there isn't a single person that will dispute the fact that they look forward to it.

The bonfire is only for upcoming seniors - a way to both embrace the new school year and say good-bye to the past, look forward to the future.

Because of that, it takes place the night before our last first day of school.

Lydia and I, and even Carson, have been looking forward to this night for as long as I can remember, and it certainly hasn't disappointed.

The night air is a tad bit chilly, the first fruits of the new season welcoming itself in, but with the fire right in front of me, I'm not cold.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" Lydia asks me, leaning back against Carson, her arms crossed over her chest like she's cold, despite the cotton flannel she's wearing.

I nod and Lydia, being able to read what's on my mind without me speaking it says, "If only Easton were here."

All I can do is give a sad smile, acting as if I haven't been thinking about this entire time, pretending I don't miss him as much as I do.

I'd give almost anything to spend my senior year with him the way Carson and Lydia are going to be able to.

I'd finally gotten to speak to him a couple of days ago and he'd put an end to my worries, telling me over and over again that his dad isn't upset with him and that he's okay with his ex-wife getting re-married.

"So, why are you moving?" I'd asked, "If he's okay with it."

Easton shrugged, running his hands through his messy hair, "I'm okay with it now."

"You're okay with it?"

"We talked about it," he shrugged again, making it seem as if it were a nervous twitch and not a shrug, "He explained things."

I wasn't going to push, wasn't going to make him think that he absolutely had to tell me everything, so I didn't.

If he wanted to share what he and his dad talked about, what made him suddenly okay with moving, he would.

After that, things went back to normal - texts through the day, FaceTime calls of an evening.

He moved to his new house last week, so I hadn't heard from him much the past few days, as he was busy getting unpacked and ready to start his own senior year.

We'd promised to call each other on our first day of school, though - Easton's idea.

"That way," he said, winking, "We can still be together on our first day of school."

I'm considering calling him now, checking in on how he's doing, when I feel a tap on my shoulder.

I whirl, my braid hitting me in the side of the face as I do so, and stare into the hazel eyes of an old friend, someone who I'd known since we were young.

"Reed, hey," I smile, "How have you been?"

"Oh, you know," he shrugs, running his hands through his short, chocolate-brown hair, "Cross country has been keeping me busy, but besides that, I'm ready for school to start."

"Only you," I nudge him in the stomach with my elbow, "Nobody else wants summer to end and you're ready for school to begin."

He grins, "Can't help it. I'm a nerd."