Chapter Sixteen

The bakery has been super busy lately and since it was, so was I. Which means I haven't had the time to take the boys out to get a Christmas tree. They were understanding last week that I didn't have the time to. This week? Not so much. To make matters worse the place we got our Christmas tree at last year went out of business. Luckily Cage said we could all go out on his land and find one. This will be the first time the boys have seen his land. Though they don't know yet that's where we are going to get a tree from. I figured Cage would like to tell them himself. I haven't been back since our date.

Speaking of dates, Cage and I have been on a few since our first ones. He's been eating dinner with me at the bakery and I'm counting it as dates cause it was really sweet. Plus he called it a date too.

He didn't have to bring me food but he did. I still haven't gotten up the courage to ask him why he left without saying goodbye the night we slept together. I probably will once I'm not so busy. I'm kind of scared to which I know I don't need to be. I don't know why I always thought he was so full of himself in high school. He's the complete opposite of what I thought he was always like.

"Mom when is Dad coming to get us?" Knox comes into my bedroom and asks me.

"He should be here soon. You all ready to go?"

No sooner than I said that did I hear a knock on the front door. Knox dashes off to my door in excitement but slows down before he's out of the room, and tries to act nonchalant. I shake my head laughing softly under my breath and follow right behind him. I walk to the front door and see Muddy and Buddy already there. They're both barking and wagging their tails like crazy.

Over the past few weeks, since we got the pups, Cage has managed to get them potty trained. This is amazing, cause now I can leave the pups at home and not feel afraid they're going to use the floor as the bathroom.

"Hey," I say once I open the door.

I really want to kiss him but we both agreed it would be best if we waited. We want to make sure that us being together is what we really want before telling the twins. I wouldn't want to disappoint them if it doesn't work out and I know Cage doesn't either.

"Hey, Rory." He gives me a quick hug as he comes in then bends down to scoop Knox up into his arms. "Hey, Bud."

Kohl comes running from down the hall where his room is at, when he hears his dad's voice. He barrels into Cage's legs and almost knocks him off balance.

"Woah hey there. You gotten stronger since I have last seen you yesterday?" Cage asks lifting Kohl up as well.

Cage has been picking the boys up from school for the past two weeks and spending time with them. I know my parents are disappointed about not being able to but they want the boys to get to know their father more.

I sneak my phone out of my pocket without them noticing and take a picture of all three of them. Knox and Kohl are both looking at Cage in awe, excitement, and love in their eyes. While Cage is looking at the boys with a look of pride and love in his eyes. I send the picture to Cage knowing he would want it and then put my phone back in my pocket.

"Or maybe you're just getting weak," Kohl says a teasing grin on his face.

"Weak? I'll show you weak." Cage starts lifting both the boys up into the air like they're weights.

The twins are laughing like crazy as their father lifts them up into the air. I hate to spoil their fun but we really need to get going. It's already almost four o'clock and knowing the boys they'll want to decorate it as soon as we get home. Plus who knows how long it will take to find a tree. It would be nice to have the tree up tonight since Christmas is a week away. The tree is the last thing for us to do. The presents are all bought and my dad stopped by when I was at work some time to decorate the house.

"Okay. Okay, that's enough now you three. We really need to get going if we want to put the tree up tonight."

"Come on you two your mom is right we better get going. Maybe when we're done getting a tree you can see my house. Maybe pick out your own rooms?"

Cage was looking at me when he said that last part, silently asking for permission. I chew on my bottom lip as I think about whether it's too soon to do that. Deciding it's not I nod my head in approval.

"Really?! That would be so cool!"

I look away from him and to the boys and see them each with a puppy in their hands. I shake my head with a smile on my face and open the front door. The puppies were going to stay here, so we wouldn't have to worry about them being in the way, but it seems we're taking them with us. I grab my coat and put it on and open the front door up. The boys have been so excited today and had their coats on an hour before Cage was supposed to get here. I'm sure they were roasting in them but they didn't seem to care.

I open the front door up and usher everyone out the door. When we get to Cage's truck I make sure the boys are buckled up before closing the door. When I turn around I see Cage holding the passenger door open for me.

"Thank you," I say and take his hand to help me up.

I didn't really need help but I love just touching him. I feel like I'm a teenager again when I say this but I feel a shock of electricity go through me every time we touch. He squeezes my hand before releasing it and closing the door.

"So boys you excited to go out and find your own tree?" Cage looks up at the rearview mirror to see the twins.

"Yeah, so where are we going exactly? The tree farm is in the opposite direction," Kohl says.

Knox loves his dad it doesn't take a genius to figure that out. He's just still not very talkative around Cage yet he has his moments, like today where he gets super excited to see him. It doesn't take him long though to go back to his quiet ways. Kohl and Knox only have to share a few looks to know what the other is thinking so I know the question Kohl just asked was Knox's too.

"The tree farm you normally get your tree from went out of business your mom said. Well, you know how I said after we get a tree we could go see my house? Well, the house is on some land and we're going to get the tree there. That work for you both?"

"Yes," they both say after thinking it over.

We all fall silent after that and just enjoy the scenery during the drive.

Follow/Vote/Comment