Chapter Twenty-two

"You sure you want to do this? Cause we can wait." I look over Cage and see him giving me a smile with a I want to do this look on his face.

He doesn't seem nervous at all.

So maybe there's no point for me to be nervous either. I mean he's just getting reintroduced to my parents as the boy's father and my boyfriend. No big deal right? He doesn't think it's anything to be nervous about so I shouldn't be either but I am. I mean what if my parents don't like him? I know that they use to since my Dad is a huge baseball fan and Mom thought he was always very polite.

"It's going to be fine Rory. I'm not nervous at all just knock on the door, please. I'm sure the twins are freezing."

I sigh knowing that he's right and knock on the front door of my parent's house.

"Finally," I hear Knox and Kohl say.

I have never invited a guy over for Christmas dinner at my parent's house before. We do dinner differently here and I just never met a guy, until now, that I wanted to bring home. 

We do things differently for Christmas dinner. We all wear winter or Christmas-themed pajamas to dinner. It became a tradition when I was six. I was sick on Christmas day with a cold and didn't want to change out of my comfy reindeer pajamas. My Mom wasn't happy about that cause she wanted a nice family picture you can mail off to other family members. My Dad could never stand seeing me upset so he somehow convinced Mom that we should have a winter or Christmas pajamas-themed family photo this year.

We have been doing that ever since.

I love that we have a tradition that I can pass down to Knox and Kohl. They'll be able to pass it down to their kids one day too.

"Finally you guys are here I was beginning to think the food was going to go cold," My Mom says the moment she opens the door.

M waits until we're all inside with our coats, scarfs, hats, and gloves off before she introduces herself to Cage.

"You must be Cage I'm Lilly it's nice to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you too ma'am."

"They finally here?" My Dad yells from the living room.

"We been here for ten minutes now Mom was nervous and didn't knock," Kohl says throwing me under the bus as to why we're late.

We all take our shoes off and then walk to the living room where my Dad is watching an old recorded baseball game. 

"Rora bear there was no reason to be nervous."

"I know that now Dad. Cage this is my father Jim. Dad this is Cage."

My Dad puts the footrest of his recliner down and gets up. He walks the few feet over to us and holds his hand out to Cage to shake.

"Nice to meet you, sir," Cage says and shakes my Dad's hand.

"None of that sir crap call me Jim and look at you boys. If I already didn't know who was who, I would be having a hard time telling you apart." Dad ruffles the boy's hair, which is something that annoys them to no end.

The boys are both still wearing their Chicago Cubs jerseys and they also have fuzzy snowman pajama pants on. I told them they both should leave their new jerseys at home so they wouldn't get them messy during dinner. Of course, they refused, at least they agreed to take them off during dinner.

"We'll need to get a picture of you four this year. Let's talk more about that later. Come on now let's go eat before the food gets cold," Mom tells us then ushers us to the dining room.

I knew right then and there that both my parents accept him. 

"Did you make the marshmallow and sweet potatoes again this year Gran?" Knox asks.

"Of course I did hun. I know those are your favorite."

Knox slightly jumps in his seat in excitement and then high-fives Kohl.

"Here I was thinking they get the most excited about the shakes at the dinner," Cage whispers in my ear, making me shiver.

"They do but if they had to choose between Grandma's marshmallow sweet potatoes or shakes? The sweet potatoes would always win."

"Only if their Grandma's!" Kohl exclaims. 

My Mom puts the food down on the table then sits down herself.

"Okay join hands let's say grace." We all join hands then she says grace. "Dear heavenly Father we thank you for all this food and being able to enjoy it with family. Amen."

"Let's eat! Rora bear your Mom made you some chicken since we know you don't like ham."

"Thanks, Mom," I tell her.

Cage and I both work on getting the boys' plates filled up first before filling up our own.

"This is delicious ma'am," Cage speaks after he takes a bite of food and shallows. "I can see where Rory got her cooking skills from."

"I'm glad you like it," Mom says sounding pleased, and has a blush on her face.

"How can you know my cooking is good if you only tried it once or twice hmm?" I ask Cage.

"Mom you know your cooking is good," Knox answers before his father can.

"Yeah, Mom. Besides, you know we would tell if you should just stick to baking," Kohl adds before taking a bite of his food.

"What they said Rory," Cage gives me a teasing look then takes another bite of his food.

I just playfully smack him in the chest before doing the same. I look over to my Dad who has been quiet and just devouring his food, he has a small soft smile on his face. I know he's happy I'm finally dating. I know he was upset that Noah and I didn't end up being more than friends, but I know he's glad that we are friends at least. My parents met him after we tried dating and instantly liked him. Over the years they grew close and Knox and Kohl consider Noah an uncle.

All in all, I think everything worked out how it was supposed to.

While Noah and I weren't meant to be more. We were meant to be friends. Plus Quinn and Noah are perfect for each other they just need to realize it themselves. I can only hope one day they will cause they both deserve someone who makes them happy.

"So Rora bear are the twins staying with is tomorrow while you have your girl's day with Quinn?"

I don't know how I found out when Quinn first moved to town, that she had no family to spend Christmas with. I tried to get her to come over to spend Christmas with my family but she declined. I'm assuming she just thought it would be strange. Still, I couldn't bear the thought of her not doing anything so I came up with a girl's day after Christmas. Surprisingly she agreed and we have been doing that ever since.

"Um...no Dad I was thinking they could stay with Cage tomorrow? So that he and the boys can have some father and son bonding."

"Really Mom?" Both boys ask excitedly.

"Yeah I mean if you're not busy that is Cage?"

"No, I'm not busy. Would you both be okay if they spent the day with me?"

I love that Cage asked my parents if it was okay. Even though they don't have a say it was very thoughtful of him to ask. I just thought it would be good for the three of them if they spent some quality time together without me there.

"We don't mind. Besides Aurora is right you three do need to have more bonding time." My mother grabs my father's hand he gives her a loving smile.

I really hope Cage and I will be like my parents in the future. Maybe it's not a good thing to think that far ahead but it never hurts to hope. I just really feel like Cage is the one despite us not having been in each other's lives again for very long.

"Yes! Can we go to your house Dad?" 

"Of course, we can Kohl. We can even start decorating your rooms."

I just know that the twins are going to have a blast with their father tomorrow.

Follow/Vote/Comment