Chapter Twenty-six

After Cage's and my talk the other day I now feel comfortable with our present and future. I no longer feel held back by the past, and the endless questions. I still wonder what happened to the note Cage left me but I guess we will never know what happened to it. Cage did say I move around quite a bit in my sleep so my only guess I have is I knocked it on the floor at some point. I didn't bother checking the floor for a note I mean who would? Still just knowing Cage left one has set my mind at ease, knowing I wasn't just a one-night stand to him.

The twins and I are heading to Cage's house cause he says he has a surprise for all of us. Knox and Kohl begged me to know what it was but I'm as clueless as them. Do they believe that though?

No, no they do not.

Plus heading out to Cage's house gives me a chance to see the rooms Knox and Kohl decorated. When they came home that day they would not stop talking about their rooms and how much fun they had with their Dad.

I turn off the highway and head down the long gravel road that leads to Cage's house. Going around a bend in the road and then Cage's house comes into view. The beauty of the house still amazes me. I love the two-story dark gray house with white trim and the wrap-around porch. I glance off to the left of the house and see Cage already outside, except he's not alone. Two guys are standing next to him with their gazes locked on my car. Looking more closely I recognize one of them to be his high school best friend Xavier. The moment I park the car Knox and Kohl bolt out of it like it's about to explode. I quickly hop out behind them and instantly hear the boys' hassling their father.

"Dad! Dad! What's the surprise?" Knox and Kohl both pull on one of Cage's arms to get him to answer them.

"Knox! Kohl! Stop pulling on your father's arms and be patient!"

They both instantly drop his arms, at the sound of my mom voice. They know when I use that voice they better listen or they're going to find themselves in trouble. Luckily for me, I don't have to use it that often anymore now that the boys' have gotten older.

Too old if you ask me.

I miss and don't miss the times when they were so tiny I could cradle them in m arms. Though those two a.m. wake ups to them both crying bloody murder I could have done without. They are just growing up too quick for my liking, becoming more and more mature each day.

"Hey Sugar," Cage kisses my cheek once I'm by his side, then directs his attention to the boys. "Knox, Kohl there are some people I want you to meet first. This is Xavier and Everett they're two of my very close friends."

Knox and Kohl start to get shy, and Xavier noticing that crouches down to their level and holds his hand out for them to shake. Knox observes him and seeing that he doesn't seem to be any kind of a threat. Being the older protective brother that he is reaches out to take his hand first.

"I heard a lot about you both from your father. Quite the grip you got their little man, bet you're gonna grow up to be stronger than your father," Xavier pretends to wince like he's in pain and Kohl laughs.

"No way I'm gonna be stronger than Knox and Dad."

While Cage, Xavier, Knox, and Kohl get into a debate about who is stronger I reach my hand out for Everett to shake.

"Nice to meet you Everett. I'm Aurora or Rory."

"Nice to meet you too you can just call me Rett though not a real big fan of Everett," We both laugh at that and then I drop his hand.

"So what's the surprise Dad?" Kohl asks.

"Come on I'll show you."

Cage leads around to the back of the house and to the big barn that's out there. Knox and Kohl keep pace with their father and stop with him when he goes to open the barn doors. Whatever the boys catch sight of makes them gasp. I stand next to them to see what brought on such a reaction and gasp myself when I see.

Inside the huge barn is five beautiful horses each one of their coats different.

"They're beautiful. What kind of horses are they?" I breathe out, unable to take my eyes off them.

"Well two of them are Appaloosas," Cage points to them then points to the other three."And the other three are Arabian horses."

One of the Appaloosas coats is what I think they would call leopard and the other is red roan blanket. The Arabian horses are all black, white, and there's a brown with what almost looks likes socks above their hooves.

"Dad! That one looks like it has socks on!" Knox states excitedly.

This is the first time the twins have been around horses, I'm glad to know they don't have any fears of them.

"It does son that one can be named socks," Cage ruffles Knox's hair affectionately.

"Can I name one too Dad?"

"Of course, you can Kohl."

"Should name one Rocket," Xavier speaks up.

Knox and Kohl share a look, both of their mouths twitching as they try not to laugh.

"What you think that name is terrible little dudes?"

Xavier picks up both of the boys, tucking them under his arms like they're footballs, and starts running around outside of the barn.

Their laughter is infectious and Cage, Everett and I laugh right along with them.

Cage wraps one of his arms around my waist, drawing me into his chest, and whispers in my ear."Why don't you name one of them Sugar?"

I look at the horses, all of them are beautiful, but it's the all-white one that catches my eyes, she looks sweet and her eyes seem to glow with joy. I didn't even know it was possible to read a horse's eyes, hers seem to be happy though.

"Moonlight," I decide and point to her.

"Perfect Sugar the black one can be Midnight."

I shoot him a loving smile, happy with the name he picked.

Xavier enters the barn again with Kohl on his shoulders and Knox clinging to his foot like a monkey. He has to swing his leg out wide, walking like Frankenstein, so he didn't knock Knox off.

"You decide on a name Kohl?"

"Yep," he points to the one with the leopard-looking coat, "Dalmatian."

I purse my lips at the name, wondering if it's a good idea to name a horse after a dog breed. Cage catches the look on my face I feel his chest shake, where I'm leaning against him, in a silent laugh. I ram my elbow into his ribs hoping that will stop his laugh, I should have known it wouldn't.

"Dalmatian is a perfect name for a horse dude," Rett says, though he sounds uncertain himself about that.

Kohl doesn't seem to notice, and even if he did I doubt he would care.

"The last one can be Rocket then," Xavier states, Cage grins and nods his head in agreement.

"Can we ride them, Dad?"

"Not yet Knox they still need some training before you can."

Knox and Kohl both look disappointed but accept his answer, with no further argument.

"How about I make us some dinner?" I ask hoping to get their minds off of riding the horses.

As if on cue both Cage's and Rett's stomachs growl in hunger.

"I guess that answers my question then."

Follow/Vote/Comment