Chapter Twenty-one

We got a lot of extra snow for Christmas day. Which the boys got excited about. Though who can blame them? The ground looks like a nice fluffy white blanket, the dead trees branches sparkle from the frost when the sun manages to peek out through the cloudy sky.

It's a beautiful winter day for Christmas.

The boys still aren't yet up and no it was not cause they were up all night trying to see Santa. They never really believed that he existed, the elf's on the other hand? They think those exist. They weren't staying up hoping to see one of those either though. They were up all night trying to find their presents. I heard them opening and shutting doors and cupboards all night. Eventually, they gave up and went to bed which was three hours ago.

So I'm letting them sleep. Besides, it gave me time to get all their presents from the attic which is where I hid them. Honestly? I don't think the boys even know we have an attic.

Which works well for me.

Normally I would be making Christmas breakfast right now but, Cage wanted to surprise them with breakfast from the diner. Besides it's their first Christmas with their Dad maybe them getting breakfast from the diner will become their tradition every year.

I pour myself a cup of freshly brewed coffee adding sugar and milk then go stand by the back patio door. I watch the snowfall and carefully take a sip of my hot coffee. Feeling something nudge my leg I look down and see Muddy. Soon Buddy comes walking into the kitchen, his nails scraping on the hardwood floor as he does.

"You need out?" I ask them.

They both whine and I open the patio door for them to go out. I'm about to close the door when Muddy falls off the deck and into a snowdrift. I quickly place my coffee down on the nearest flat surface and rush outside. I crouch down and grab her out of the snowdrift.

"Oh, girl you okay?" I rub her fur to try and warm her up. "Buddy come on. Let's go inside."

I walk inside the house the snow melts off my socks, leaving wet footprints as I walk. Outside I barely felt the cold now though it feels like my feet are being stabbed by needles. As the numbing coldness starts to go away

"Rory?"

Looking over at the kitchen doorway I see Cage, holding bags full of food.

"Hey, Cage."

I grab the hand towel from off the handle of the dishwasher and rub Muddy down with it. To try and warm her up faster. I set her down on the ground, Buddy comes and snuggles up with her when she lays down, laying his head over her back.

"Why were you outside dressed like that? You could catch a cold." Cage sets the food down on the counter, then pulls me into his chest and wraps his unzipped coat around me.

"I had to help Muddy she fell off the deck and into a snow pile." I move back from him a little and look up at him.

"You should go take a hot shower now so you don't catch a cold." Cage places his hand on my cheek and rubs his thumb back and forth over it.

I shiver from how cold his hand feels and cause of the way that small action makes me feel. I lean into his hand and the comfort he offers.

"Okay," I lean up and softly brush my lips over his.

I pull out of his arms and walk away to go to my room to take a shower. Before I get far, Cage grabs me by the wrist and pulls me back into his muscular chest. He tilts my chin up with his thumb and pointer finger and gives me another kiss, running his tongue softly along my bottom lip. I part my lips for him to slip his tongue in my mouth but he doesn't.