SIXTEEN

Jennie's POV

I got a call today.

It wasn't a good call.

It was definitely bad.

I picked up the phone, and my mom was crying. Her next words made my whole body and mind numb. Your father is in the hospital. A drunk driver hit him.

I couldn't do anything for the rest of the day. I didn't even make dinner for Lisa. All I did was stand on the balcony with a glass of bourbon in my hand. The only time I left was to refill my glass.

I couldn't feel anything, even without the alcohol. All I did was stare at the city skyline from the balcony. I wanted to go to Connecticut to visit, but truth be told, I was scared to ask Lisa. I didn't want her to worry about me or give me anything. She already pays for too many of my expenses. I basically live off of her.

I downed the glass, and refilled it. I don't know how much I drank or how much I could; all I knew is that it was slightly helping.

I wanted to cry, but almost as if I was too numb to cry.

I heard the balcony door opening. I knew it was her. I heard her let out a breath of relief.

"I was worried. Why were you not downstairs?" She asked. She came closer, and when she saw my face, her expression instantly changed.

"Jennie, what happened? Did someone hurt you?" She cupped my face with her hands. I shook my head to get out of them and downed the glass, which I just refilled.

Lisa swiftly took the glass away from me. "How much of this have you had?"

"Not enough." I replied before attempting to grab the bottle. She got to it first and put the bottle and glass up high so I couldn't reach it.

I sighed and turned back to the city, letting my elbows rest on the rail. I felt her fingers brush my hair behind my ear, sending shivers down my spine. I mentally chuckled; even with my body feeling completely numb, it still reacts to her.

"Jennie, what's wrong? I can fix it, whatever it is."

"You can't fix this." I mumbled.

"Talk to me, please." She pleaded.

I looked up to meet her eyes and felt my eyes water. I wanted to cry, and for some reason, my body was letting me. I let out a sob and put my face in my hands. Her arms wrapped around my body, and she brought me close warmth radiating off her.

"Shh. Please don't cry. It'll be alright. I'll help you with whatever you need." She soothed.

I looked up to her after wiping my tears. "My dad's in the hospital, Lisa." A single tear fell from my eyes, and she brushed it away with her thumb.

"Will he be alright?" She asked.

I nodded. I think so. "He's not doing so good right now though." I mumbled.

"We can go visit. Busan isn't that bad of a drive." She said.

"How do you know where he is?" I asked.

"I know a lot about you. I asked one of my men to find everything he could about you when I first met you." She explained.

I just nodded and leaned my head against her chest. The alcohol was wearing off and making me sleepy now.

"Do you want to go see him? I can take you." She offered.

"It's okay. You don't have to. I rely too much on you, and I need to pay you back for everything you bought me."

"No, you don't. Don't even think about it. I want to give you all this, and if you try to pay me back, I'll just buy you double of what you gave me." She was too nice.

"How can you just drop everything and take of me?" I asked, confused by why she cares so much. "Because you've done the same for me."

I gave a small smile, but I knew there was sadness covering my face.

"Busan is only an hour and a half away. We could be there by midnight if we leave soon. I'll drive and book a hotel room, and we could get your parents anything they need. Okay?" She said while brushing my hair behind my ear.

I hugged her. "Thank you, Lisa." I kissed her cheek. "I can't ever thank you enough."

"You don't need to. I'll always be there for you, and I know you'll do the same for me." She whispered in my ear.

"Of course I would." I mumbled. I inhaled her masculine but sweet also scent, calmness washing over my mind and body.

"Let's go." She whispered.

I nodded.

Once I was in the car, the alcohol caught up to me, and I fell asleep. The next thing I knew was Lisa gently shaking me away.

"We're here." She whispered.

I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and tiredly got out of her car, taking her hand. I was really sleepy, so when we were walking, I leaned on her a little bit too much, but she didn't seem to mind it.I was much more awake the closer I got to his room. the receptionist said.

I was right outside his room, but I couldn't open the door. I froze. My heart sped up, and my breathing became sharper.

"I'm scared." I whispered, my voice cracking at the last word.

Lisa pulled me closer. She kissed my forehead. "It's okay to be scared. I'm sure your father is in there sleeping peacefully right now."

I nodded and took a deep breath. I opened the door quiet and saw my father sleeping peacefully. I let out a sigh of relief. He was okay for now.

Tears flowed down my cheeks as I neared his bed. "Hi, dad. I know it's been awhile. I just wanted to tell you I'll be here when you wake up. I'm sorry for leaving so suddenly. I'm sorry for not staying a little longer in Connecticut. I'm sorry for not going to Yale like you wanted. I just want to talk to you again, please. Please, don't leave me." I cried as I said all those things. I turned around and sat on the nearby couch. Lisa came over and sat next tome.

"You can go to a hotel if you want. I'm going to stay here." I mumbled.

"If you're staying, I'm staying." She wrapped her arms around me. I leaned against her and let my tears flow.

__________