four

I slam the passenger side door of Sweet Pea's truck after I climb in with a huff and cross my arms over my chest

I slam the passenger side door of Sweet Pea's truck after I climb in with a huff and cross my arms over my chest. Sweet Pea gets in and puts the keys into the ignition but doesn't start the truck. 

I can feel his eyes burning holes into the side of my head, "Are you done throwing your temper tantrum?" He asks and I give him a side eye glance. "Guess not." He say under his breath and starts the truck. 

"I just don't get why Toni wouldn't tell me!" I burst. 

Sweet Pea scoffs, "Probably because she knew you'd react like this." I roll my eyes and stare out the window as I slump down into my seat. "Listen, I don't like the idea of Jones being in town anymore than you do, honestly I wish he'd fuck off to where ever he came from but," He grabs my chin and forces me to look at him, "You're gonna have to deal with it and be a grown up." 

I pull away from him, "Whatever." I pout. 

"Hey, it's good for the school right?" 

"I guess." I mumble. 

He shrugs, "So there's a positive to this." 

I still sit slumped in my seat, moping. Sweet Pea leans over and rests his chin on my shoulder, "You want some Pop's?" 

"Please?" I answer with pouted lips and he just laughs as he pulls away and puts the truck in drive. 

Sweet Pea and I sit at our usual booth with empty glasses and plates. He rests his arms on the table and leans forward, "Do you feel better now?" 

I shrug, "A little." I smile at him, "Thanks for listening to me complain." 

He places his hand on top of mine, "Always." 

"You guys need anything else?" Tabitha walks up to our table and I pull my hand into my lap. 

"No thanks, Tab. We're good." Sweet Pea says and she starts to gather the dishes, when she turns to leave she gives me a curious look and I just shake my head to which she rolls her eyes as she walks away. 

"You didn't have to do that, you know." Sweet Pea says once Tabitha is out of earshot. 

I look at him confused, "Do what?" 

"Pull your hand away." He says and I say, "I mean, it's okay we still have feelings for each other." 

"We don't-" 

"I do." He says abruptly, "I'm so cool with just being your friend, for your sake but I'm not gonna pretend that I don't love you and that other people can't see it." 

I run my hands over my face in an attempt to keep myself from crying, "Pea, I am always going to love you, I can't not love you, but I-" 

"I know, you can't be with me, not now. You've said it over and over again." He slumps back into his seat.