eight

The sound of my heels echo through the empty hallway as I head back to my classroom after I stepped out to grab a coffee

The sound of my heels echo through the empty hallway as I head back to my classroom after I stepped out to grab a coffee. Most of the staff has already gone home for the day but I'm behind on grades so I decided to try and catch up after classes. Also it's keeping my distracted from thinking about what happened with Sweet Pea and I.

I push the door open and see Jughead sitting on my desk, "Uh, hi?"

"I talked to Lerman." He says as I round my desk. An exasperated sigh falls from my lips while I roll my eyes, "He says the story is based on some dreams he had."

"Okay?" I question with a raised eyebrow.

He stands and turns leaning on his hands at the edge of my desk, "Some people express their trauma through fiction."

"Did he say that?" I ask with a pointed expression.

He leans back and looks down for a moment, "Well, no, but he was nervous and fidgeting. He's obviously hiding something."

I throw my head back with a groan, "Jughead, I really don't have time for this. Go peddle you conspiracy theories to someone else, okay?"

He huffs, "Fine." He pushes himself off my desk and walks out of the room shutting the door a little harshly.

A sigh falls from my lips as I roll my eyes. My phone pinging catches my attention. It's Toni.

Toni: Come over?

I reply quickly with a yes and start gathering my things to head out then my phone pings again.

Toni: Pick up Pop's shakes on the way? The baby wants one. :)

I huff a laugh through my nose and toss my bag onto my shoulder before walking out of my classroom.

The bell rings above my head as I walk through the door of Pop's and I head straight to the counter where Tabitha stands filling someone's coffee.

"Hey, Tab." I smile at her and lean against the counter, "Can I have two chocolate shakes to go?"

She sets the coffee pot to the side, "Sure, Stevie." She says before leaning close to me, "Just fair warning, he's here." She whispers and flicks her eyes to the side.

My eyes follow her gaze and there he sits in the corner booth eating a burger. He looks like he just got back in from a long haul. He looks exhausted. I tear my eyes away from him before he can realize I'm staring.

"I'll be quick." Tabitha assures me as she turns away to make my order.

Sweet Pea and I haven't seen or talked to each other since I imploded our relationship in the Wyrm. He doesn't even come down to get a beer after his hauls with Fangs anymore. This was never what I wanted. The two of us on opposite sides of a room not speaking wasn't apart of the plan. Ever since we met he's been the one thing in my life that was consistent, he was always there. And I fucked it up.