Chapter 3

May 2018, Mumbai
'You could had atleast told me before leaving!', Mom demanded 'I hear that you left, from your father! How embarrassing is that!?'
It was 8:00pm, my phone rang and it woke me up. It was mom, she had landed in Mumbai and wanted me to pick her up at the airport. As soon as she met me, she started creating a ruckus. Other passengers looked at us in amusement.
'Speak quietly mom, you are creating a scene', I softly said. But it only seemed to anger her more.
'Now you'll tell me how to act!?', she slammed. There is no point in arguing with her, I better stay quiet, that way she'll shut up after some time.
'Go look for a taxi now', she ordered.

'You're going to live here?' mom questioned right after entering my room. 'This place is soo small!'. She looked disgusted.
'I still have to settle down and buy some stuff', I said
'It's not about that- This place is soo cramped'
'Mom, this is a room, not a house. And I got 24 hours running water and a kitchen attached... it is a good deal for a dorm room', I fumbled
'You could have stayed at your chachi's place, they have a driver he could had dropped you to your university'
'Did you come here just to nag me?' I asked
'No. Now that im here I will visit your chachi too; she always says that we never visit her so now I will.
'Good'. So, she will leave soon.
'And you will come with me!'
'No! why I should I come? There is no need. You go'
'Aarey, you are staying in Mumbai, if you need anything then you will need them na'

My aunt was my dad's younger sister. But is totally opposite from him. Arrange married at age of 21, to an owner of 6 petrol pumps and moved to Mumbai in a 2-storey villa on Mira Road. With an assured posh life, a mother of one and a master of 4 servants she should be happy right?
'Touch her feet!' my mom whispered while slightly patting my back. I cracked a fake smile on my usually emotionless face and slowly bent down, hoping that chachi will stop me mid ways.
'Aarey, don't touch feet now', she said while already blessing me, 'Come inside, sit please'
'Raj has joined a university here', mom said and smiled. I felt obliged to smile too and so did chachi.
'That's great. Education is always important. Priya too is in Canada, doing a fashion major something...', chachi added
Priya didi is my cousin and Chachi's darling daughter.
'We told her- do what you want before marriage after that we don't know what the in-laws will accept no?' chachi sympathetically glanced at mom
'You are right ji', mom sympathized with her. And these are women talking like this.
'Raj beta you are 20, no? any girlfriend?' Chachi giggled
'I am ...19', I fumbled. How am I supposed to answer this question? How is anyone supposed to answer this?
'I am telling him., start looking for a nice girl from now, then you will be able to find at partner till your twenties', Mom and chachi found this statement extra sarcastic. And it's funny how the topic escalated from education to marriage real quick.
Mom had to reach the airport at 5, and it is 12:00 now., so 5 more hours of torture. I should think of a way to escape...
But I can't.

'Mom, we should leave', I whispered to mom. It was 4:00, if we left now then she'll be able to make it to the airport.
'yes', mom checked her wrist watch and nodded, 'chalo ji, we should leave now' she said to chachi
We were silent throughout the whole 30 mins in the taxi, on our way to the airport. Somehow this felt even more uncomfortable. I took out my phone.
'Heard what your chachi said?', mom broke the silence
'hmm'
'What "hmm"? Im talking to you no!?
'I just want to focus on studies for now' This was my go to excuse for every type of situation.
'Yeah, then im not telling you to get married now no? Mira is a nice girl. And you know her since childhood, i don't see whats the problem?' she looked away 'Just start thinking about it. She is has given you a second chance and is still waiting'
We sat through another wave of silence, however now it felt less awkward, knowing that the driver had gotten context for this type to atmosphere.

We arrived at the airport. It was crowded. No matter how much progress we make, people in the country will never learn manners. I saw some people running as if they were about to aboard a train.
I helped mom with her luggage and she left.

Today was a hectic day and its wasted. I could had spent my day in, but no. What can I do I still have a week before my college starts.
Mira...