#2 Nightmares

> > > > > >

•  Nightmares  •

< < < < < <

“I’m too lazy to walk Annika,” he mumbled.
“I'm too lazy to speak Shivay,” she said.

“Let’s order in tonight from that Italian restaurant,” he suggested, she nodded in agreement.

He picked up his phone to order when he saw some missed calls from Omkara, “Hey did Om call you?”

“Maybe. I haven’t touched my phone in hours,” they both lay on the couch. Their shoulder and leg muscles not allowing them to move. One of Annika's legs overlapped with Shivay's.

Shivay dialled to him, keeping the phone on speaker, “Hi Om. Yes we are at home. No-no tonight’s not possible. Arey nahi, of course, Annika and I are at home, but we both are really tired. Your bhabhi can’t move an inch.”

Annika threw her hand aimlessly, jabbing Shivay’s face.

“Ouch,” Shivay itched.

“Seems to me she can move just fine,” Omkara teased.

Annika carelessly smiled.

“We were at the hospital since morning-,”

“Hospital?”

“Yeah, Annika got wounded- she,”

Shivay turned to look at Annika. But she wasn’t there by his side. He twisted, eyes searching for his wife.

“Annika?” he called out. No response. Like she was gone.

Shivay jolted up, stretching his shoulder again, “Annika!”

He rumbled from room to room in search of her but couldn’t find her anywhere. When he tried to switch on the lights, none of them worked.

Shivay returned to the couch again, fumbling for his phone, but nothing. The phone had vanished. He could just feel an empty couch before him.

When Shivay called out her name now, his calls were not cautious or calm. They were filled with desperation. He kneeled to the ground when he could not find her. His chest heaved, as he tried to stop himself from tearing up.

“Annika please,” he managed to speak when a light switched on.

But it wasn’t Annika. It was two children standing beneath the spotlight. Two children Shivay would never forget, “Hi Shivay Bhaiya,” the shorter kid said. Shivay cried when he saw him, a long sufferable cry.

But the child only smiled. He walked closer leaving the taller one there.

“Do you know where our toys are? Will you play with us?”

Shivay flicked his tears,” Yes, of course I’ll play with you.”

“Rudra!” the other boy followed, “Get away from him, he’s not our brother!”