#8 The Sickness

< < < < < < <

•  The Sickness 

> > > > > > >

It was the fourth time Annika visited the doctor this week. Alone. Shivay was away on a business trip and she didn’t want to scare him. It was probably nothing. She told herself that, and wanted to desperately believe it. She had a running fever. It started with minor sneezing but then instead of ending, it went on to a cold, then a 104 degree fever. She always thought it was funny how body temperatures worked. 100 and it’s somehow time to worry. She was living it now.

Shivay checked in with her everyday. Not just through an audio call but a video call. So it was quiet hard to fake being okay. Because Shivay was after all Shivay. But Annika was also not less.

She managed to sound sane for three days. But today, her voice dropped deeper. So deep that she knew she couldn’t fool him anymore.

When Annika went to the doctor's, she somehow convinced him not to tell Shivay as Dr. Mehra was their family doctor. Doctor Mehra had agreed, understanding her plight.

That night when Shivay called Annika, she tried alright.

“Hi Shivay,” she snuggled to a velvet blanket, pretending to be awoken from a heavy sleep.

Shivay checked the watch, “Annika it’s just 9 there right?”

“Hmm,” she dozed, “I worked too much today Shivay- just too tired.”

Shivay wasn’t buying it, “Annika?”

“Hmmm.”

“What are you lying about? I know you never sleep so soon. The latest time you fall asleep at, is 11. You never miss your telly. And your favorite TV serial starts at 10,” he spilled, raising his eyes.

Annika still snuggled, but it was not pretense. It was actually comforting, “Ugh, why do you know me so well.”

He laughed, “Because I have to. Otherwise you'll keep hiding stuff like this.”

“No, I dont- “ she started. But even she knew she did. It wasn’t like she was hiding a body. She had to because Shivay worried too hard even for a single frisky paper cut.

“Liar,” she rolled her eyes at his words, “So what is it?”

“I-I am just a little feverish,” she said, running her hand on her forehead. She sat up, coming to the light.

“Oh my god, you’re so pink Annika!” he was reaching for his phone. Annika knew why. To fire Doctor Mehra.

“Shivay don’t you dare do that,” she said.

“You look like a tomato baby,” he said, scrolling already.

“It’s not the doctor’s fault that I’m sick now, is it?” she had to distract him, or else he would actually book his return tickets right away.

“You know, maybe it is your fault,” she said playing with her hair.

“What?”

“You’re making me blush,” she said, looking away.

Shivay smiled, almost falling for the bait. He whispered, “Any other day, and I would have believed you. You’re getting better at lying you know.”

She rotated her head, “Shivayyyy! Shivay Singh Oberoiiii why are you like this.”

She knew the answer to that too.

“Because you’re not serious about this at all!” he said, calling someone with the other phone. But the person did not pick up, Shivay cursed.

“Language!” she said, giggling under her pillow.

Shivay stared at the phone, then at Annika. The look said, when I meet you there shall be revenge.

He was all concern the next moment, “Have you taken the medicines? Did he write any other remedies? Did he give you any injections? Are you-“

“Shivay. Shivay. Shivay,” she gasped, “I took my medicines, and he told me to rest. He said to use some hot water steams if I feel too itchy. And no, he didn’t even suggest any injections, saddu husband.”

She did not lie. She was following everything the doctor said like it was the word of God.

“Okay, I want you to rest now,” he said abruptly.

“Hmm, Shivay I am. I’ll fall right into sleep once we finish talking.”

“No you won’t,” he said, referring to her 10 o' clock serial.

“Haaghhh, I really will okay,” she said.

He gave her a lopsided smile, “Okay.”

She squinted her eyes. That’s all? Only these many words with the Great Shivay Singh Oberoi, the rock. It can’t be. He seemed almost in a hurry to get off the phone.

Maybe he has a meeting. . and why was she questioning it when this is what she wanted ? for him to not worry too much. Something still seemed amiss but Annika let it go, too tired for working on any hunches.

“Okay bye I’ll call you. See you,” she mumbled.

“Hmm you will,” he said. And as she pressed the red button, Annika dozed off in a matter of seconds.

She did not care to set an alarm. She didn’t care to check the time.

As if she would care normally, a voice inside her head said.

She kept close to the bed, even as the Sun entered through the corners of the drapes. She was asleep but awake, some miraculous half-sleep it was.

But it didn’t last long as the bell rang. She huffed, checking the time. It was 8 o clock. Too early. Tooo early.

She managed to reach the door and slide it open. Her shoulders fell as she exhaled at the sight of Shivay in sunglasses.

She twisted, walking slowly towards the room again, “ Ugh why do I have a stupid person for a husband?”

He grinned, rolling his suitcase, “If it is stupid to want to take care of my wife then yes I am stupid. Very stupidly in love with this girl who doesn't take care of herself.”

“Shivay I do,” she turned in an instant, wrapping the blanket around her head like a homeless person.

He bent his head seemingly in awe, “You don’t,” he walked closer to her, “Or else you wouldn't have sent the maids home. You would let them help you out.”

“And what? Get them fever too?”

“See!” he said, splaying his hand before him.

“What? Now you're scolding me for being a good person?” she blabbed, dropping her blanket.

He quickly rushed to her, picked up the blanket and wrapped it back tight, “No, I'm scolding you for not asking for help.”

“Shivay but-,”

He put his index finger right over her lips,"Nothing now."

Annika stared at his hand, and then at him. She was so pale and warm and fragile,  he would touch her and she would break. She could see that worry in his eyes, but she was not tense about her frailness,“ You should go- you will get sick too shivay.”

“Oh don’t be so sure,” Annika hit his shoulder, he grinned, “ I don't care.”

“But I do,” Her eyes glistened.

“Okay I’ll wash my hands and wear a freaking safety suit after that, is that okay?” He said, holding her left cheek.

She nodded smiling.

Shivay tied her hair in a bun, and dabbed her face with warm water. She shuddered, still too feverish. He winced too. By the time he was done, she was ready to be tucked into bed again.

“Now now, what do you want me to read you?” he strolled in a chair right beside the bed.

“Is this necessary?” she mumbled.

“Why not?” Shivay asked, jumbling through his collection of business and self help books.

Annika stared at Shivay, “I hate these books. There is nothing more than statistics and numbers in them.”

“Maybe I just want to torture you,” Shivay laughed.

Annika shrieked, “I knew it!”

He laughed again, tucking the edges of her blanket, “Trust me, you will fall asleep as soon as I start reading.”

Annika chuckled, “That is your technique? To bore me to sleep?”

“It has worked before hasn’t it?” he grinned proudly.

Annika’s brows fixed on his stare. She looked back to all the times Shivay brought a big book to the bed. She always cursed him for it. Sleeping was the time for rest, and he was basically studying. They had a study room. Why wouldn’t he use that? And then she remembered she was almost always in a bad mood when he read books in the bedroom.

“You,” she stared in shock, “I don’t even have energy to scold you!”

“Scold me?” he laughed, “You should be writing a book next called 100 ways shivay makes my life better.”

Annika snorted, “That will be only after you write one called 1000 ways Annika is the best.”

“Such Tadi. And they call me egoistic.”

She stared at his smile, “I am your wife, you know.”

He was so tempted to kiss her but she leaped back, “No, no!”

Shivay's face fell, “Im sick Shivay! Have some, just some semblance of patience.”

“Semblance?” he asked, eyebrows high.

“You’re not the only one who can know big words.”

He shook his head, apparently not. Annika had been keeping productive during his trips.

He slipped open a book called, “Adversities of macro-economics for developing nations” Even the cover was in black and white. Annika's eyes budged to close as he began, “The entities of a singular-,” he continued.

He must have read about one and half page. When he peeked through the top, Annika had dozed off. He smiled as she snored lightly. He switched the lights off and seated himself on the chair again, reading the book in silence.

> • > • >

Last one left ;) See you theree.