#3 The Mandatory break

< < < < < < <

•  The mandatory break  •

> > > > > > >

Work. Work. Work. Shivay worked all day, skipping his breaks one after another.

When he slipped out of bed that morning, Annika was still tight asleep. He ate some toast with milk before rushing out. When Annika woke up, she found his empty plate on the breakfast table. Ants feeding over the leftover toast crumbs. She nodded her head before keeping it in the sink and headed to the bedroom again to sleep. It was a Saturday.

At lunch time though, she couldn’t shake the feeling that something was wrong. Shivay was an early bird, yes. But it was the first time, he had left his plate on the table. It was a mindless move and Mr. Morning was many things but not mindless. Clumsy and mindless were Annika's department.

She finally decided to call him. It rang, but he didn’t pick it up. She called again. And again. And again. But he didn’t pick up.

She quickly dialled to the office mainline. She could hear her heartbeat in her ears, thumping. The receptionist informed her that Shivay was here but in a meeting. No. Annika glanced at the time.

“But it's lunch time right?”

“Yes Mrs.Oberoi, but Sir refused to take any breaks. He’s been in meeting after meeting since morning.”

“What?”

“Yes ma’am. It’s been a few days since sir took a proper break.”

Annika thanked the receptionist and kept the phone. Without another thought, she grabbed her purse and keys and drove to his office.

The knock was strong and desperate enough that Shivay just knew. He didn’t see her but he knew.
The four businessmen seated on the round table with him, stared at him and the door and then at him again.

“Excuse me. Please ah-enjoy your lunch. We’ll take a break now.”

He rose up, buttoned his suit jacket and walked out with grace. He thanked God that Annika had the sense to not barge in.

“What happened?” He asked, sweating. She gave new meaning to the paleness of his face. To the sourness of his eyes. He grew these symptoms in the past few days itself. She blamed it on lack of sleep. But Shivay looked straight exhausted.

Annika stopped tapping her foot against the ground, “You tell me.”

Shivay's face fell in utter perplexion, “Is this one of your riddles Annika?”

“Shivay! You-,” but Shivay clasped her loud mouth, looking around and then pulling her inside a door to the supply closet.

“Shh, this is office not home Annika, you can’t shout here!” he whispered, hand still on her mouth.

When she gestured to his hand, he loosened. Annika started walking closer and closer, until Shivay's back hit a wall, “If this is an office, then listen Mr. Shivay Singh Oberoi.”

He kept staring at her. Her mouth moving, her eyes expressing million notions, her hair twisted in all places. But his ears had stopped working, because he couldn’t hear a word.

“Oh hello? I am talking to you.”

Shivay's daze broke in an instant, “Any chance you could repeat?”

Annika fumed, “I said, that from tomorrow you eat breakfast with me, even if I wake up at 11 o’ clock. Lunch at 1, and not some salad or juice, you’re going to finish the whole tiffin I send with khanna. And your kaali coffee at 4 o’clock. Understand?”

He nodded, “If you don’t, Shivay. I’ll come in myself and feed you right inside your office during your meetings. And I will shout at you too whilst sitting on one of those chairs.”

He continued nodding. She loosened her grip off the walls, and stepped back.

“Say something,” she said.

Shivay dusted his suit off, turning sideways,“I’m not taking any breaks.”

“Why!” Annika's face paled.

Shivay swung to the doors, Annika following his gait. He turned abruptly, nudging her nose, “Because if I do, how will I see your stupidly beautiful face inside these dry grey walls, my paanika.”

It was a hint of red, but then it vanished off her face, that was stern now, “I thought you hated excess butter, and yet here we are.”

He grinned and she almost pulled his ears before he agreed to resume his breaks.

> • > • >

This one is a little sweet, salty and, small.
The next one is light as well. Annika makes a shopping list and...Can't gave the whole thing okay, tomorrow then.

(Yesterday I got too busy, so I missed) But yes, the update schedule is still not being respected by me so, you'll get one everyday until we get to the ninth.