#5 A shocking Sunday

> > > > > >

•  A shocking Sunday  •

< < < < < <

Sunday morning and Shivay Singh Oberoi slept in.

Even at 9 am, he was cozy against his pillow. He crushed it closer, arms lolling forward to find his human pillow, but she was gone to his surprise.

His eyes opened up in caution. His wife waking up early? He checked the time once again.

No, it can’t be. During weekdays, Annika barely shifted in her sleep at this hour.

And today was a Sunday.

Shivay stretched, yawning. He had to check up on her right now. The halls. She might be watching television or cooking something up.

When Shivay reached the hall, he found Annika sitting on the couch staring at something. The TV wasn’t even on. He walked closer and discovered something so so scary….He almost slipped.

Annika looked up from the newspaper, “Shivay?! Are you okay?”

He caught himself just in time, still in his loose pants, “Hmm.”

Annika exhaled, shaking her head, “How do you even manage a business with such loose feet?”

Before Shivay could answer, she went back to reading the newspaper, a highlighter in her hand.

“What are you doing?” he finally asked.

“What does it look like?”

“You’re..reading….the paper?” his eyes never stopped being wide.

“Yes,” Annika's face was such, as though this was what she did everyday. Woke up early. Opened the paper. And read it?

The last part wasn’t sitting particularly well with Shivay. He shamelessly asked, “Why? Did someone dare you to?”

Annika broke in a laughter, “What?”

As if the notion that Annika would read the newspaper out of free will was absurd. That someone had to force her to pick up the newspaper and read it. It was the genuine worry on her husband's face that kept her laughing.

“Shivay, I’m trying to find a job,” she said, folding the newspaper and placing it back on the table.

Shivay tsked, “If you want to work so badly, you could just-”

“Don’t say work with you,” Annika met his eyes, “You know I’m not going to.”

“Why not? We could go to work together. We can eat lunch and I can stare at you all day. I promise you’ll have an amazing time.”

She grinned, bringing her arms around his shoulders, “As much as I'd enjoy being your eye candy all day, I don’t want to have an amazing time. Work is about being challenged. And if I’ll be working at your office, you will fire anyone who as much as looks at me wrong.”

Shivay considered. But he knew she was right.
He sighed, “Okay Mrs. Oberoi.”

Annika held on to his neck, “Yes Mr. Oberoi.”

They stared at each other. At how far they both had come. At what they’d become.

Before, alone, they were powerful.

But being together, caring for one another and hearing each other out had made them into this version of themselves that they had only ever dreamt about. Annika's smile ran deeper as her forehead dipped against his. She laughed in her closed smile. That was one of the moments she realized that she was indeed alive. Not just breathing. But alive. She knew he felt it too.

Before other sparks stole her newspaper reading motivation, she moved aback slightly,“Mr.Husband get away, I took my bath already.”

But Shivay did not let go, “Shivay.”

Shivay caught her wrist, “Aa! Either you join your husband's office or you let him be. Your choice.”

Annika stopped protesting and stared into his stupidly firey gaze. She leaned closer, her free hand running on his back, “How about. . .,” she brought her mouth to his ear. She exhaled and that was it.

Shivay let go of her hand, waiting for her to speak, “Neither.”

And she ran, out of the hall into the kitchen.

“Annika. That’s not fair,” he said, but kept walking to the bedroom.

She giggled, “Everything is fair in love and war.”

“Aw-” Shivay started.

“and this is war.” She stood, in a soldier’s pose, making finger guns.

He sighed, staring at his dork wife,“I’m going to take a bath,” his lips curled, “Want to join?” he said, wrapping a towel around.

Annika freezed, unmistakenly blushing, “Shut up Shivay,” she shouted.

> • > • >

All the best to you guys, because the next two are kinda sad.
But they're cute, especially the next one, Counting stars. Annika tries to use a flashlight to search the sky so like it is kind a funny and crazy.
Bye!