You get one not both

•Mel's pov•

Clint- Where you guys headed?

Joel- West

Clint- Why there? People say going north is the safest option

Me- Yeah well Loverboy here is going to see his little girlfriend

Minnow- Girlfriend? Wait you guys aren't together?

Joel- Ohhhh no no no no

Me- Wow way to crush my spirit Joel

Joel- No- I'm sorry. We aren't....together together

Me- I saved his ass and he asked me to come with him

Joel nods.

Clint- At least we got one fighter here. Come on

We walk with them.

Me- So you guys gonna go north?

Minnow- Yup. Less monsters up there

Me- Cool. Hey you think Boy and I could go with you?

Minnow- You mean Joel?

Me- No my dog Boy

Minnow- You have a puppy?!

I smile and nod. I whistle and Boy comes running over. Minnow stops and kneels down to pet him.

Minnow- He's so cute!

Me- I think he likes you:)

Minnow looks up at me with the sweetest smile.

Clint- Come on we gotta keep moving.

Minnow stands up and we continue to walk. I decide to walk next to Joel. Boy goes and walks next to Minnow.

Me- So tell me about this girl

Joel- Oh well she's awesome. I think you'll like her. Her name is Aimee

Me- Cool.

Now I know what you're probably thinking but no I don't like Joel. He's just the annoying boy who let me hang out with him on his quest. Besides he seems really in love with this Aimee girl. He doesn't need me.
When it gets dark we stop and set up a little camp. I sit with Minnow and Boy by the fire. Clint and Joel are on the other side. Joel shows us the drawings he does in his journal. Pretty cool. He is like my own little dork. I'm warming up to Joel. I don't like him though.

The next day we come across a giant snail. I help Joel slowly strip off his shirt and give it to the snail. Clint was very proud of me for that. Minnow is just like my little sister. My whole family died trying escape town. I slept through the whole thing. I call them my family because they were the only ones i had. My real parents left me in that bus parked out in front of my family's house. My "dad" heard me crying from inside and found me laying on a seat. They let me keep the bus and it was like my own club house. I miss them so much. Well I actually don't know if they died or not because when i woke up they were gone and all i had was Boy, my best friend.
Minnow told us that we either get food or sleep. One not both. So that night I choose food because back at the bus I had a hard time finding food.
After I finish eating I excuse myself to go think.

Me- I gotta go piss i'll be right back

I didn't have to go piss. I climbed up a mountain a bit more and sat down with Boy looking at the stars. I sigh.

Me- Boy do you think I'm going crazy?

I look at him. He tilts his head.

Me- Yeah i thought so...It's just, I keep asking about Aimee only to hear Joel talk about how she makes him feel. I found out that I replaced "Aimee" with my own name. I like Joel but I don't know if i like him like that you know? And maybe i do but what does that matter to? He's like in love with Aimee. I can't do that to her. Even though i've never met her before. And she is the reason i met Joel in the first place. I should be thanking her really. Ugh!

Joel- Hey...

I whip around and see Joel trying to climb up.

Joel- You ok-

He almost falls. I get up and help him. We sit down.

Joel- You ok?

Me- Yeah why?

Joel- Nothing I just heard you mumbling and came to check up on you

UGH! He's so sweet!

He looks at me. Oh boy....I look at him.

Me- Well....thanks

He moves closer. I start to panic but calm myself.

Joel- What about you? You got a fella?

I laugh.

Me- Joel no one uses that word

Joel- Alright whatever. But come on you gotta have someone

Me- No...I don't have a... fella:)

Joel- Well then they're crazy because you are awesome

Me- Thanks:)

Joel- So no guys were into you seven years ago? I don't find that possible

Me- I speak the truth Joel

Joel- Alright alright

Me- I always used to say "Me oh my I have lost my eye"

He laughs.

Joel- What?!

I join him.

Joel- What does that have to do with anything?

Me-....I don't know i just felt like saying that. I thought it was funny and if you ever get in a conversation you don't want to be in just say that and walk away

We continue laughing. We finally calm down.

Me- Ready to venture of into the unknown?

Joel takes my hand.

Joel- You bet:)

It felt weird and honestly took me by surprise when Joel took my hand.

We go back down with Minnow and Clint. Clint is starting to pack up camp. I see this look on Joels face. I nudge him with my elbow.

Me- You get one not both.

Joel- But I had none

He looks at me. I shrug saying "what'd you gonna do."
We continue walking. I go up next to Joel whose talking to Clint.

Me- Hey Joel...

He looks at me.

Me- Hold out your hand

I whisper.

He looks confused but he holds out his hand. I sneakily put a small piece of chicken in his palm. His eyes go big. He looks down at the chicken then up at me. I smile and fall back. I see Joel throw it in his mouth before Clint or Minnow notice.