To the north

•Joel's pov•

Mel actually lets me have a meal AND some rest. But only 5 minutes. But that's still something! While we walk to the north we pass my colony on their way to me.

Me- Hey guys!

They join us on our trip to the north. It was a bit interesting introducing them to Mel. But they seemed to like her. They said she was very head-strong and it's nice to know that a young girl can take care of herself but also allow help from others. I didn't really walk with Mel.

I walked with some of the guys of the colony. All the girls were walking ahead of us. Mel would occasionally look back at me and give a small smile. I would sneak a smile back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

•Mel's pov•

I liked Joel's colony. It makes a lot more sense of how Joel survived this long. But Joel's gotten better at fighting off bugs and monsters. I gotta say...it's nice to see him taking some charge. Normally I would be pushed to side because I was the quiet girl and everyone thought I couldn't handle anything bigger than a spider. It was so stupid. So to meet Joel and have the roles be switched was nice. It was cool to protect someone but also to help them learn how to fend for themselves.

It takes us about four to five days to get up north where Clint and Minnow are.

Day one- Was just me, Joel and Boy.

Day two- I met Joel's colony.

Day three- Ran into some monsters but easily took care of them.

Day four- we ran into some trouble.

Me- Joel it's simple. I put down a red one which means you can only put down either a one, a red card or a change color.

Joel- So I can put this one down?

Me- Yes. I still can't believe you've never played Uno. How old are you?

Joel- Ha.Ha.

Girl from Joel's colony- Would you two please play quieter?

Me- Sorry.

I continue try to help Joel play Uno correctly. Didn't realize how hard it was to teach someone the rules of Uno.

A bush rustles next to me. A terrifying look is plastered on Joel's face.

Me- Joel...

Joel- M...M-M

Me- Joel remember what we talked about? Use your words.

I nod. He gives me a look. He grabs my shoulder and turns me around. A giant...bug I guess is standing right behind me. I scurry back into Joel. His arm wrap around my shoulders.

Me- J- Joel...pass me the bow...

Joel and I never take our eyes off the...bug? Joel slowly passes the crossbow to my hand. I hold it up. Both of my hands shaking. A shakey finger places itself on the trigger. I take a shakey breathe in and click the trigger, sending an arrow straight for the...bugs heart. Or at least where the heart is supposed to be located. It makes a loud scream and flops over with a bug thud. It wakes everyone up. At first they're annoyed but once they see what made the big noise they're relieved and go back to sleep.

I turn my head to look Joel. He looks down at me. His eyes connecting with mine. A small smile crosses his face and he gives me a hug. He leans back on a large rock, me still held securely in his arms.

Day five- I woke up in Joel's arms. Everyone was giving us looks all day.

Day Six- Walked with one of the girls. They told me so many stories about Joel.

Day Seven- Didn't know it would take this long. But we finally made it!!!

I hug Minnow. She's very happy to see Boy again.

Minnow- Aw it's been too long:)

She looks up at me.

Minnow- You know...when you first left to help Joel, I thought you were stupid to go back to hep him if he was in trouble or not. But now that he's here, you're here and of course Boy...Maybe you weren't as stupid as I thought.

Me- Everyone makes stupid choices. But mine was stupid AND brave so it's ok:)

We both laugh. Joel walks over to us. I smile.

Me- Hey Joel:)

He looks at me and smiles.

Joel- Hey...

Minnow- Ew if you guys could do that elsewhere that would be great.

We both look at Minnow.

Minnow- Just saying. You guys spend all that time together and you're still acting awkward around each other. It's pathetic.

She stands up and walks into her tent.

Joel- Ya know...she's right...

I look at Joel.

Me- What?

Joel- What Minnow said. It's pathetic.

Me-Oh...

What did he mean by that? I thought he liked me...