To his rescue

•Joel's pov•

Voice- JOEL!

I look over to the mountains where to voice came from. Mel emerges from the top of the mountain. Boy right at her side.

Me- Mel?!

She slides down the shorter part of the mountain and runs over to me. I smile.

Me- You came back?

Mel actually smiles at me.

Mel- Of course I did:)

Her face goes serious. She throws me the crossbow.

Mel- Listen carefully.

She picks up her dagger.

Mel- Wait until I tell you to, before firing the bow...alright?

I nod. The crab picks her up. She throws her dagger down. She and crab just look at each other. Why? What was she waiting for?

Me- Uh Mel?!

She says nothing.

Me- MEL?!

Mel- Oh calm down Joel!

She pauses.

Mel- Alright..Hey Joel?

Me- Yeah?!

Mel- You see that chain over there? That's connected to the crab?

Me-....yeahhhh

Mel- I want you to aim at it.

Me- What?! Are you crazy?

Mel- Yes. But I know what I'm doing. Now do NOT shoot the crab.

Me- You're insane!

Mel- Oh shut up! Remember...needle through water.

Her words repeat in my head as I lift up the crossbow. I aim it at the chain. Here goes nothing. I shoot....I hold my breath...I watch as the arrow flies and breaks the chain. I'm shocked. I want to celebrate for breaking it but I can't because I know Mel is in the hands of this giant crab.
I look up at her and the crab. Looks like she's talking to it. Then the crab sets her down carefully on the ground. I rush over to her.

Me- Are you ok?

Mel- Yeah, yeah I'm fine:)

I help her up. Aimee's colony crowd around us. But all I try to do is get over to her and tell her something. But the colony is taking excited and loud and I can't get near her.
I look around and try to find Aimee. I see her over across the beach. I jog over to her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

•Mel's pov•

Aimee's colony crowds around me. I'm not one for a bunch of attention so I'm very awkward. All I really wanna do is find Joel. I wanna ask him if he wants to come with me back to the North. But I can't find him in this sea of people. But what I do find is myself watching as the crab attacks a ship that was keeping it hostage. The crab breaks the ship and swallows every crew member.
Finally the sea of people calm down and I'm able to spot Joel. He's over across the beach with Aimee. They're both smiling as Joel helps Aimee to her feet. Boy whimpers as he also watches this. I see their mouths moving happily. I look down at Boy.

Me- Come on...Joel doesn't need us anymore.

I start walking back to the mountain. Boy whimpers and the catches up with me.

Joel- Mel! Mel wait up!

I stop and turn around. Joel is jogging towards me with a smile.

Joel- Hey, where are you going?

Me- Back north.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

•Joel's pov•

I help Aimee up.

Aimee- Thanks.

Me- No problem.

Aimee- So is that Mel?

She asks smiling. I end up smiling.

Me- Uh...yeah:)

Aimee- You going north with her?

Me- Well-

Aimee- Because you should. Come on Joel. It's obvious you like her, a lot.

Me- Well I was gonna ask her if....

Aimee- Do it.

Me- Really?

Aimee- Totally, Go get her:)

I smile and run across the beach and see that Mel's walking away. I run faster.

Me- Mel! Mel wait up!

I slow to a jog. She stops and turns around.

Me- Hey, where are you going?

Mel- Back north.

Me- Well I gotta talk to you about something.

Mel- What is it?

Me- The plan was...travel to Aimee's colony and stay here with her. But she's moved on and needs to focus on putting her colony back together. And I kinda want to go up north...with someone who needs me.

A corner of my mouth goes up. Mel does smile.

Mel- So you're coming up north?

I nod.

Me- I mean if that's alright with you.

Mel- Mm...are you gonna bring a giant crab?

Me-Well I'm gonna try not to:)

We laugh.

Mel- Come on. Go get your stuff:)

I smile and walk back to where I put my stuff. Aimee comes over to me as I throw my bag over my shoulders.

Aimee- So...you tell her?:)

Me- Yup, I'm going up North with her:)

Aimee- So happy for you. Call us anytime on the radio:)

Aimee hugs me and for once I don't feel anything. We let go and I say my goodbyes. Then I go back to where Mel and Boy were.

Mel- Ready?

Me- Yup:)

And we start our journey to the north. Ot was nice traveling with just Mel and Boy again. Not that I didn't like Clint and Minnow  but...you know:)

Mel- So you gonna miss Aimee?

Me- Yeah...but now that I've seen her I won't miss her as much as I did.

Mel- Does that mean I won't have to hear you continue to talk about her? :)

I chuckle.

Me- I guess so:)

She smiles at me. She has a beautiful smile. Mel is very head strong and can take care of herself. But she, like everyone, show's signs of weakness or shows that she's scared. And that's being human.
It gets dark and it's time to settle down for a little bit. Mel sits across the fire. Boy sits next to me with his head rested in my lap.

Mel- You know...I'm not always brave.

Me- What? You're like one of the bravest people I know!

Mel- Well I try to hide how scared I am with confidence. I don't trust many people. Boy is really the only one but he's a dog.

Boy lifts his head up and cocks his head to the side.

Mel- Oh sorry Boy. You're a furry human my bad.

I give a quiet laugh at her response and how she talked to the dog. Mel was definitely something special. I don't want to lose that. Sitting here with her, is relaxing. I love talking to her. She tells it how it is. She'll go from talking about something serious to being able to put a smile on my face.

It's something about seeing someone so brave show that their scared is like their way of telling you that they trust you. I trust Mel. And I think she trusts me.