Way up North where the air gets cold

•Mel's pov•

Joel- Mel...we've known each other for about...

He pauses and thinks.

Joel- A long time and well we have had this...this...

Me- "thing"?

Joel- Exactly. This thing between us. And at first I wasn't sure how to feel about it but- but I know how to answer it...I hope.

Me- Joel would ya stop rambling on and just tell me what's on your mind?

He nervously smiles and chuckles.

Joel- I like you Mel.

Me- What- What about Aimee?

Joel- She's moved on...so should I.

I keep on a serious face.

Joel- I mean...if you'll have me....

Me- Joel...

Joel- Yeah?

Me- There's a leave on your shoulder.

He struggles to look at the leave on his shoulder. He flicks it off then looks at me.

He's waiting for an answer Mel. Come on just say something. Anything!

Me- Thanks.

I immediately regret that.

Me- I- I mean...

He chuckles.

Joel- Wow. Did I actually make Mel fubble on her words? Ha! Wow. Man...I hope you know I'm cherishing this moment:)

I chuckle and look down at my feet.

Me- You're a real asshole...

I look up and smile.

Me-...ya know that?:)

A smile emerges from his face. He reaches an arm out and grabs my shoulder and pulls me into him for a hug. I accept it and wrap my arms around his waist. We stay there a while. It's basically me saying I like him too. I was never good at using my words. If I like or tolerate someone I'll let them know by being sarcastic or hugging them back. Joel knew that. He paid attention. No one ever did that. I was always casted aside. But Joel...when he looks at me it's like...

•Joel's pov•

It's like she's my whole world. Every time I look I can't help but stare. I'm sure that sounds creepy and I probably look creepy when it happens but I can't help it.

•Mel's pov•

He let's me go. We sit in a tent with Boy cuddled up next to Joel.

Me- So I have a question.

Joel- Shoot.

Me- What made you change your mind about Aimee?

Joel- Well you did.

Me- I did? How?

Joel- You showed me a lot. I thought when we first met that once I got to Aimee I would forget about you. Aimee and I will be happy. But once I got to Aimee I realized I wasn't happy. I was missing something. Those people didn't understand me the way you did. I would say something that they wouldn't get but in my head I knew that if you were there you would be laughing. My mindset changed.

Me- Wow I have never heard you use the word "mindset" you sound so grown up.

Joel- Anyways:)

Joel- Aimee was just a passing chapter.

Me- So what's the next chapter?

Joel- I think I have an idea.

We sit there in silence.

Me- So...are ya gonna tell me your idea?

Joel makes a sneaky smile.

Joel- Maybe...

Me- Come on just tell me:)

Joel- Later.

Me- Joel!

I wack him with a pillow. He laughs.

Joel- Ah! She's attacking me! Help! She's attacking me with a pillow!

I laugh.

Me- Shut up you big baby:)

Joel- Ok! Ok! I'll tell you!

He laughs.

Joel- I'll tell you!:)

I pause holding the pillow up in the air ready to smack him with it at any moment.

Me- Well?!:)

Joel- We eat some food. You know why?

I laugh.

Me- Why?

Joel- Because I am very hungry.

There's a moment of silence and no one moves.

Me- You asshole.

I hit him again. He laughs.

Joel- Ah! No!

I stop and lay back.

Me- Alright let's go.

I put the pillow down and stand up. I walk to the entrance of the tent. I look behind me at Joel and hold out my hand.

Me- You coming?

Joel- Hell yeah.

He gets up and takes my hand.