Prologue

Alena always held a sort of bizarre love for discovering the meaning of people's names. She found them to have great value in the packs that they were a part of. She realized that in some instances, someone's name was after a place in life that the parent is in, while others name their children for the hopes that they have for them. Alena's brother Damir was named Damir because her father was in a time of peacekeeping, and Damir means 'one who provides peace.' Her name, Alena, means light. Alena's parents selected her name because of the location where her parents were when she was born. It was so far north in the summer that it was nearly daylight for the whole twenty-four hours of a day. Though she was born in the middle of the night, it was bright enough to shine through the typical darkness of the night, and Alena's parents named her to reflect that.

As children grow up, Alena believed that they had a responsibility to either follow the pattern of the name that was given or turn from it completely. Sometimes the name seems almost ironic, much like Damir becoming a great warrior despite his name centering around peace. The name and role were sort of ironic and fulfilling at the same time. As for Alena, she hopes to make her name line up with the aura she gave off to the community.

There were rare instances in which a member of the community's name ultimately represented them. They were usually related to darkness, and they were the ones who led to the meetings of the alphas in the pack where the troublemaker resides to decide the fate of them. Alena had great intuition to decipher whether or not someone's name lined up with their true intentions. Still, it became complicated when the word had little meaning besides the location of their upbringing or the characteristics of their parents.

Within the meetings of the alphas, there are sometimes occasions in which the alphas are wrong. It's rare, and Alena doesn't speak up against her leaders, but she knows the truth concerning the situation deeply. She knows the alphas will come around to the correct decision eventually. Often, the meetings concerning these troublemakers are announced in advance and give the teams time to prepare for the arriving alphas. There was something different, something new and strange about that morning, that bright Thursday morning.