2 - Alphas

The first Alpha to enter the packhouse for the meeting was Alpha Sebastian. It was no surprise to Damir and me, mainly because he lived so close. Alpha Sebastian is the Alpha of our pack, and he has always worked to make sure we flourish, not only as a pack but especially as his leadership team. His mate, Lucy, passed away a few years ago, and everyone is beginning to get a sad feeling from him. We all know he is ready to join her, but he doesn't want to let go of our pack just yet.

Alpha Sebastian kept his hair styled in tall peaks despite his age, the silver tips cresting against the dark roots. His hair had been black for many years, but since the death of Luna Lucy, his grey hair started coming out. He was handsome for an older man, and his eyes reflected the kindness for his pack.

Next arrived Alpha Calliope. She came in the same sort of car as Alpha Sebastian, but its tires were more muddied due to the long travel. She wore a long dark cloak, covering her shoulders and a majority of her face. You could see her brown hair falling in loose curls over her shoulders, though, and her bright red lipstick. One look at her took my breath away, and Damir had to tilt my head down to bow for her out of respect. A female Alpha was rare but not unheard of, and even though I had seen Alpha Calliope multiple times, her presence always stole my breath.

"Delta Alena, glad to see I am still breathtaking," the female Alpha laughed as she passed, causing my cheeks to turn bright red and my brother to let out a small chuckle. I sent a sharp glare his way, which he either did not see or chose to ignore.

My head shot up then immediately down when the next car pulled up, and Alpha Caelan walked in. He was one of the most intimidating Alphas, and his presence around him showed it. The Frostclaw pack was northern and frigid, but his warriors still sparred and trained outside, tempering their bodies to the weather. His name never failed to make me chuckle because of how incorrect it was. He was nowhere near slender, and the muscle bulk on his chest and arms proved it. I attempted to keep my gaze on the floor, but my eyes slowly made their way up to his body. I didn't get past his waist before he had turned into the meeting room. I let out a huff, upset at not getting to finish watching the show before it ended.

The tension already filling the meeting room seeped into the hallway. There were only three alphas in that room, which meant four more and a royal left to join them.

Alpha Lawrence of the Lonepaw pack was next. He was a single Alpha in his late thirties, and he had all but given up on the search for his Luna. His pack had accepted that they wouldn't have a Luna, and he had already begun the process of setting up an inheritance for the pack. Was that what this meeting was about? Had he picked a successor?

Alpha Lawrence stopped by me and turned to face Damir. He whispered something to Damir, and the two of them took off towards the meeting room together. I guess that means I'm running this show by myself now.

Alpha Violet and her mate, the second Alpha Avalon, were next. The Palecrown pack had a reputation with female alphas, that reputation not being a good one. Multiple times they had revolted against a female leader, and Violet knew that well. She faced that giant and worked to make sure her people trusted her completely. The fact that Alpha Violet had a mate eased the discomfort of her people. Alpha Violet walked past me to the meeting room while her mate stopped next to me.

He coughed, and I drew my head higher, still not making eye contact to show respect. "Delta, it is not necessary for you to bow your head to me; I gained my title through mateship, not through birthright."

I tilted my head and made eye contact with the second Alpha of the Palecrowns. "Alpha Avalon, to what do I owe the pleasure?" I asked sweetly.

"Delta female Sophia had her child, a male. They named him Ethan. Can you help me understand?" He whispered, looking around to make sure no other Alphas were arriving while he distracted me with his question.