11 - Home

After our run, we returned to the cabin and shifted back, pulling our clothes on quickly. Griffin picked up a bag of food left outside the door, and we walked into the house together. He motioned me toward the small dining room table, and I sat quickly.

Griffin pulled out the sealed containers, and my mouth immediately watered. I opened the containers as he pulled them out. One was filled with fettuccine alfredo, while another was filled with spaghetti. He pulled out two small bowls with clear lids with chicken and shrimp for the pasta, and I grinned. Yet another container came out of the bag, this one full of tossed salad. He pulled out the final small bag, full of bread that was warm to the touch and fresh. Delicious.

Griffin walked to the kitchen, pulled out a drawer, grabbed two silverware sets, and returned. I poured us each a glass of water from the pitcher on the table. The table was already set with plates and napkins, and I watched as Griffin passed me the pasta first.

"Griff, why aren't you getting food first? You know the Alpha eats before the Luna." I frowned, still taking the pasta from his hands.

He shook his head. "When we're here, and it's just the two of us, we aren't Alpha and Luna; we're just mates." He grinned. "And anyway, right now, you're higher ranked than I am."

I choked on my water slightly, coughing to clear my throat. "No way, Griff. I am not."

"The elders seem to think so, and I think that your Alpha friends do too. You're making history and holding two positions, Little Wolf. You are ranked higher than I am, and you eat before me." I swallowed hard but scooped the pasta onto my plate and handed the bowl back to him. I sprinkled chicken and shrimp on it and gave myself some salad too.

"Griff, can we cut the bread? I want some with my pasta."

He nodded and stood to get a bread knife. He returned and sliced the warm loaf, handing me a piece before setting one on his own plate.

I waited for him to sit before I began eating, but he watched for me to eat before taking a bite.

"Oh my gosh, Griff. This is the best pasta I've ever eaten." I smiled across the table at him. "Why haven't I come to the royal grounds for food before?" I asked, making him laugh a bit.

"It really is the best. But I only accept the best for my mate." A blush covered my cheeks, and I took a bite and tried to hide my face.

Once we finished eating, we went to the couch. "I want to take a nap, but I don't want to leave you alone." I groaned. "I want to get to know you more, but my body is so tired."

"Go to the bedroom and rest; I have some work to do. I'll stay out here and work while you fall asleep, but I'll probably come in and use the desk in there to work."

I stood and grabbed his hand. He looked confused but gripped mine, and I pulled him up. "Come work in the room with me while I sleep. I don't want to be alone." He nodded, and I pulled him into the room. I crawled into the bed and under the covers. He grinned over at me while he pulled out the chair to the desk on the other side of the room.

I pulled the hood of the sweater over my head and tightened the strings gently, then pulled the blanket up to my neck and curled up on my side. Within minutes I was falling asleep to the sound of Griffin humming at the desk.

I squinted my eyes open in the quiet room, my eyes nearly immediately landing on my mate. I sat up slowly, pulling the blanket tightly against my chest. "We're going to have to get another desk in here if I'm going to be AlphaLuna."

He jumped slightly but turned to face me, his empty hand motioning to the phone in the other. I nodded, miming a zipper across my lips.

"Alfonso, we will speak more in person at a later date. Right now, I have a beautiful woman to take care of." I blushed, and he ended the call.