CHAPTER 5: The Sly Fox

(Announcement)
Elephant Ice Cream Cashier is EICC

Mike peeks his head in the shop to watch.

EICC: Listen, I don't know what you're doing skulking around during daylight hours, but I don't want any trouble in here so hit the road!

The Fox: I'm not looking for any trouble either, sir. I simply wanna buy a Jumbo-pop for my little boy.

He sees a fennec fox, The baby fox appears, in an elephant costume, sucking on a pacifier.

The Red Fox: You want the red or the blue, pal?

The baby fox walks up to the glass and points to the cherry jumbo pop

Judy: Ugh, I'm such a...

EICC: Okay, come on, kid, back up.

He turns to Red Fox

EICC: Listen, buddy, what? There aren't any fox ice cream joints in your part of town?

The Red Fox: Uh, no-no. There are, there are. It's just, my boy, this goofy little stinker, he loves all things elephant, he wants to be one when he grows up. Is that adorable?

Judy: Aww...

The Red Fox: Who the heck am I to crush his little dreams, huh? Right?

EICC: Look, you probably can't read, fox, [takes out a sign and points to it] but the sign says "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone", so beat it!

Elephant Lady: [pushing Nick] You're holding up the line!

The Baby Fox gives a sad toot sound

Judy: Hello? Excuse me?

EICC: Hey, you're gonna have to wait your turn like everyone else, meter maid.

Judy: Actually, I'm an officer. Just had a quick question: are your customers aware they're getting snot and mucus with their cookies and cream?

EICC: What are you talkin' about?

Judy: Well, I don't wanna cause you any trouble but, I believe scooping ice cream with an ungloved trunk is a class-three health code violation. Which is kind of a big deal. Of course I can let you off with a warning if you glove those trunks and, I don't know, finish selling this nice dad and his son a...What was it?

The Red Fox: A jumbo pop. Please.

Judy: A jumbo pop.

The Baby Fox gives 2 toots

EICC: Fifteen dollars.Nick Wilde: Thank you so much. Thank you.

The Red Fox Feels his pockets, then becomes mildly surprised. No wallet.

The Red Fox: Oh no, are you kidding me? I don't have my wallet! I'd lose my head if it weren't attached to my neck. That's the truth. Oh boy, I'm sorry, pal. Gotta be about the worst birthday ever. Please don't be mad at me. Thanks anyway.

Judy watches them leave, slams a twenty dollar bill on the counter.

Judy: Keep the change.

Later, Judy, The Red Fox, and The Baby Fox walk outside the parlor; as Mike watching slyly, The Red Fox holds the jumbo pop that is nearly as big as himself and Judy holds The Baby Fox hand as they walk out.

The Red Fox: Officer, I can't thank you enough. So kind, really. Can I pay you back?

Judy: Oh no, my treat. It just - you know, it burns me up to see folks with such backward attitudes toward foxes. I just wanna say that you're a great dad and just a... A real articulate fella.