Chapter 1

Azriel's POV

"Their army outnumbers us!" Rhys bangs on the table in frustration. His face contorted in anger. Feyre steps beside him, trying to comfort him by rubbing his back while holding Nyx.

A year they've lived in peace. Lived without worry. And now the threat of war and destruction has closed in on them as if they were easy, vulnerable prey.

Koschei has grown stronger in followers and power. His will to leave his confinement has increased. His followers have grown, aiding him in his leave. Soon, he will be powerful enough to leave. Vassa's bargain has been left unbroken and she now resides in Koschei's confinement.

Rumors in the wind say he's soon to leave. Promising anyone who kneels before him sanctuary and protection.

Bullshit, his shadows whispered.

Azriel's shadows lingered a mere distance from him listening for any movement or talking. Nothing-nothing at all. Not even the movement of wind caressing tree branches.

As Rhysand went on about his plans, Azriel's thoughts stole him away from the present time. A mate. The want to hold someone at night. No. Not just someone. His mate.

His patience, even as spymaster, has slowly worn out. His envy, constantly growing as he watched love grow around him. He didn't want to wait for his mate anymore. No. He'd grown desperate. Desperate as his brothers flourished with their mates.

And Elain. Oh, kind, tender Elain who longed for his attention. She was there, why wasn't she his mate? She longed for his attention, not Lucien's. His fury quietly grew as he watched Elain, over and over, reject her mating bond. Had the Cauldron been wrong? How could there be three sisters, three brothers, and only two of each were mates? Why had Elain not been made for him?

Fate. His fate had humor. Nasty, bitter humor. Just as it led eight year old him to his doom. Az stared at his scarred hands. The memories bringing the feeling of pain and growing his fury. No matter his sins, he didn't deserve that at such a young age. To feel abandoned and alone by everyone around him.

But it's okay now, he reminds himself. He has a family now. A family who cares for him, who loves him. And he tells himself, that should be enough. But something in his heart pangs because, truthfully, it's not enough anymore.

"Azriel." Rhys called, bringing him back to the present time where the meeting was happening. "Don't forget to see what Lucien has to say."

Az stared at Rhys for a second-pondering on what Rhys just said before only nodding before slipping away with his shadows. But before he could slip out of the house and away, a hand tugged on his shoulder.

"Az, I'm tired of this bullshit. You've been moodier since-" Cassian paused for a minute, thinking, "Winter Solstice! What's going on?" Azriel watched his brother, not being able to respond for a second.

"I'm short on information." is all he said. Which wasn't a lie. Not really, because he was. His spies had come short on information. Information on where Koschei's followers had been gathering.

"I hope you don't believe yourself, because I don't. You've been heading to Rita's every night and coming home with a different female each time! Cauldron, I'd encourage this, but. . . but it isn't you! The Azriel I know doesn't do this. The Azriel I know. . . he-he. . . You're becoming a Nesta. For fuck's sake, you are the new Nesta!" Cass managed to throw his hands up in frustration with his wording.

A short, silent laugh comes from Azriel. "For Cauldron's sake and yours, I hope she doesn't hear you." Because if she did, she'd be the first to rage war on both of them. Maybe she should. Then Koschei wouldn't be anybody's worry anymore, but rather Nesta would be the worry.