Chapter 12

Azriel's POV

"I need you to go to Under the Mountain by sunset." Rhys sighed as he dropped his shoulders. "I don't like it, but you have to go alone."

The Shadowsinger nodded in silence. He needed to go on this mission. He needed space to think without someone barging in on his thoughts. Azriel needed to clear his mind. He was fine with being alone.

Azriel left the room, heading outside. He extended his wings, getting ready to fly. As he shot into the air, a thought came to mind. Would Florence answer if he called out again?

Florence?

No reply.

It was pathetic. How many times Azriel called out to her. He just wished she would just let him know she was okay.

After all, she was still dealing with Orpheus' death. Azriel couldn't understand why she cared so much for him. Orpheus damned her without a second thought. Yet she still mourned him.

He landed in front of the House of Wind before entering. The house was unusually chatty. It had never been this loud since-Florence. But he heard no sign of her laughter nor her comforting scent. Azriel walked towards the noise.

"What's happening?" He asked, furrowing his brows as his eyes roamed the room.

Mor, Cassian, Feyre, and Nesta.

"Florence has pulled back all of her Arae." Nesta scoffed. "Did you know about this? Is this her keeping her word?"

"Calm down, Nes." Cassian took her hand into his. "I'm sure it's a mistake. Or she has her own reason." He squeezed her hand.

Florence pulled back her legions. Why?

"Yes, a mistake of pulling back legions." Nesta nodded with disdain as she narrowed her eyes at Cassian. "A very, small mistake that is."

"But she gave her word-she has to help us." Mor interceded. Her face was written with hurt and betrayal. Clearly, she didn't believe herself.

"Maybe she just needed them and she'll return them." Feyre chimed in. Her tone made it come out as more of a question than a statement.

Nesta raised her brows at Feyre, eyeing her before rolling her eyes. "You can't truly believe that."

"Az," Cassian ignored Nesta. "Would she do this?"

"How am I supposed to know?" Azriel ran his hands through his hair.

Florence would never. No, she wouldn't betray them. She had to keep her word. She couldn't lie. She was Divine, unable to lie. But why would she pull them back when the war could happen any day now?

"You were closest with her," Feyre added softly. "I know it hurts to think about her, but-" Mor cut her off with a gasp, covering her mouth a second too late.

"Do you think she's dead?"

Dead.

Florence, dead? No. Not possible. Never.

"No." Azriel shook his head in disbelief. "No, that can't be. She's Divine."

"But if she were dead, she'd owe no loyalty to anyone. Whoever succeeds her throne could pull back her legions." Nesta explained. She began to rub her temples. "Cauldron, we just need one living Divine."

"She's not dead!" Azriel barked. She can't be. "I think she has something else planned."

"Like what?" Feyre asked.