Chapter Eight

"Dating?" the older woman sputtered. She looked at her daughter for confirmation. "Lisa, Jennie is the girl you have been seeing?"

The brunette's voice caught in her throat and she nodded mutely.

"I see," Mrs. Manoban stated calmly. She once again looked at the blushing blonde by Lisa's desk. "Jennie, dear. I think you should go home now."

The blonde nodded. "Yes, Mrs. Manoban," she reluctantly said.

Lisa watched as Jennie began to leave the room. Their eyes met briefly and the blonde gave her a sad smile before exiting the room. The brunette then looked at her mother, unsure.

Mrs. Manoban crossed her arms. "You have some explaining to do young lady."

"Mom, I didn't? I'm sorry you saw that."

"So am I. What were you thinking?" the older woman frowned.

"I? I really wasn't thinking. I'm sorry, Mom."

"Sorry doesn't cut it," Mrs. Manoban quipped.

"Do you have a problem with me seeing Jennie?" the brunette shot back, suddenly feeling defensive.

Mrs. Manoban's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What? No, I like Jennie. She's always been a sweet girl. But what I don't like is you not telling me you were dating Jennie. Why would you keep that a secret?"

"I was going to tell you, Mom. Jennie and I have just been trying to hide it from Rosé? until we were ready to tell her."

"Well, behavior like what you two were just doing won't hide it very well."

The brunette began to blush and she averted her eyes from her mother's.

"And why was the door closed? You know I don't allow Rosé and her boyfriend to be in the bedroom with the door closed and I expect the same from you. You think just because Jennie is a girl it makes any difference?"

"Well, no but?"

"Exactly. Now, I'm glad you found a decent girl to date but I won't tolerate that fooling around in my house. You understand me?"

Lisa let out a sigh. "Yes."

"Good. Dinner will be ready in an hour. Call your sister and see if she'll be having dinner with us or at Chanyeol's."

Chanyeol was Rosé's boyfriend.

"Okay."

Mrs. Manoban nodded and headed out of the room but then stopped and turned around. "I didn't know Jennie was gay," she commented.

Lisa shrugged and smiled lightly. "I don't think she puts a label on what she is. She just likes me."

"Well, that's obvious from what I saw," the older woman said in a teasing tone.

Mrs. Manoban smiled, leaving her daughter in her room with a face redder than a stoplight.

...

"Are you sure you don't want to come? There will be tons of cheerleaders with their short skirts," Jennie teased.

Lisa laughed with her phone to her ear. The blonde was trying to persuade her to come to the cheerleading Regionals. "There's only one cheerleader I want to look at."

"I was hoping you'd say that. It's fine, Wolfie. You don't have to come. I'll only be gone for the day." The blonde was standing outside their high school with her entire cheerleading squad. She was off to the side while the other girls prepared to board the bus.