Chapter Nine

School had just ended for the day and Lisa was walking out to her car. She was surprised to see Jennie beside the vehicle. The blonde had her back turned to her and was talking on her phone. Lisa knew the blonde had cheerleading practice today so it was unusual for Jennie to be here. As Lisa walked closer, Jennie turned around with a distraught expression on her face.

The blonde hung up the phone as Lisa approached. "You okay?"

Jennie shook her head sadly and looked up into the brunette's eyes. "That was my Uncle Ted. My mom is in the hospital."

Lisa gave a compassionate expression. "What happened? Is she okay?"

Jennie gave a solemn nod. "Yeah," she sighed. "It's a stomach ulcer." The blonde shook her head, frustrated with her mother's excessive drinking. "Just three months ago she was in for alcohol poisoning. She just won't stop."

The brunette saw the haunting memories pass through Jennie's eyes. She raised her hand and gently stroked Jennie's arm.

Jennie took comfort in the touch. "He says she's asking for me."

"What do you want to do?"

The blonde shrugged. "I don't know," she said helplessly. "I mean? despite everything that has happened? a part of me still cares."

"Of course you still care. You're that type of person, Jennie. You have a kind heart."

Jennie smiled sadly and then sighed. "I don't want to go alone. Will you go with me?"

The brunette stared into those cat eyes filled with confusion and sadness. Her heart was breaking seeing Jennie this way. "Yes."

Lisa and Jennie arrived at the hospital and were informed by a nurse where Mrs. Kim's room was. They walked hand in hand in silence down the hospital corridor until they were just outside Mrs. Kim's room. The door was open, but they stood just far enough back so they could not be seen.

"I'll be right here," Lisa said, giving Jennie's hand a comforting squeeze.

The blonde nodded before stepping into the room and out of sight. Though Lisa could only see the edge of the hospital bed, she could hear the conversation inside the room.

"Well?" Mrs. Kim's weak voice began. "I didn't think you would show."

"I almost didn't? I just wanted to see if you were doing okay."

"Oh, don't throw me a pity party girl. I'm fit as a fiddle. So, you can shove it."

"Fine." Jennie replied, finality in her voice.

"Jennie," Mrs. Kim stopped her. There was a pause. "How are you holding up at Ted's?"

Pause.

"Okay."

Another pause.

"Still cheerleading?"

"Yes, I am."

"Of course you are," Mrs. Kim replied indifferently. "Dating? And please tell me you're holding on to this one for more than a month," the older woman replied tiredly, but with sting in her voice.

There was another pause.

"I am seeing someone?" Jennie replied. "?And they're very special to me."

"Sure, they are. What is this? Boyfriend number eight? Nine?" Mrs. Kim laughed.

Lisa's blood boiled, hearing the nastiness of Mrs. Kim's remarks. How could this woman be so horrible to her own daughter?

"Her name? is Lisa," the blonde replied sharply. "Lisa?" she called.