Prologue

I was at school when it happened. It was a normal, average day. A day like any other. All of a sudden, it became harder to breathe. Ah, an asthma attack. I'm pretty much used to these. But as I tried to have a friend fetch my inhaler for me, the world turned black and I fainted.

When I opened my eyes, I was very confused. Where am I? What was I doing? I look around and then I remember. I was having a severe asthma attack and I fainted just after my teacher called 911. But... I'm pretty sure this isn't the hospital. For starters, the room I'm in has pastel pink wallpaper and I'm covered with a blanket the color of honey. I look around some more and I see a giant pink stuffed bunny by the left side of the bed. I look at the windows on my left and see some buildings. Where am I?

I get up from bed and feel the hard wooden floor. I'm definitely not in my house. Looking around the room, I see a cork board with pictures on them. In one of them, a young girl with wavy pink hair and honey colored eyes poses with a young boy with messy red hair and light purple eyes. Weird. Do those kids have dyed hair and contact lenses? Not to mention the description of them reminds me of something...

I look next to the cork board and see a white vanity with a black cat laying on it. The cat, noticing me staring at it, jumped off the vanity and began approaching me. I started panicking a bit before realizing I wasn't getting an allergic reaction. That's... weird...

The cat laid next to me with eyes pleading for me to pet it. Since I'm not having an allergic reaction, I decided to comply with its request. It's such a cute kitty! And it began to purr as well!

As I was petting the cat, I ended up realizing that my hand looks different. My hand had an olive skin tone to it and looked kind of soft too. Now that I think about it, my whole arm was the same skin tone as my hand! Scooching a bit to the right, I looked at my reflection in the mirror. I looked like an older version of the girl from those pictures. Now that I think about it... didn't I look a bit familiar? A sudden realization hit me as a bunch of memories flooded through my brain. I'm Lavinia Gardenia, the protagonist of the novel The Garden of Lavinia.